RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 6 - Nov 30

Rate this topic

Capt.Castafly

7 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Boat is pulled 

all done until next year 

very sad day

My boat is in the yard all  cleaned up, ready to put the tarp on this week.

This is the time of year I still like going to the shore, not with a rod,  but with still and video cameras, drones, and night vision.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Cold and dead last pm wind was cranking against tide, bait that was around last week was no where to be found.   One more skunk in area im fishing and its time to start exploring the hold over grounds.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

On 11/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

My boat is in the yard all  cleaned up, ready to put the tarp on this week.

This is the time of year I still like going to the shore, not with a rod,  but with still and video cameras, drones, and night vision.

What do you use to clean your hull and the scum line

11 mins ago, Quonnie said:

What do you use to clean your hull and the scum line

I only use soap and water to clean my hull, believe it or not?

I would never use those acids and chemicals listed as hull cleaners ever on my boat.

Those chemicals do work, and it will look real clean after, but it makes the fiberglass surface very porous.

Next time it goes back in the water again, it's dirty again because it fills back in the pores.  

Here's the trick..... I've always bought new boats every time I upgrade. New boats come out of their manufactured mold with a chemical release. They apply the final gel coat and polish. You don't want to break that integrity, if you do your hull will start to absorb  scum. I always keep it highly polished with a Teflon PT Polish. Sure it gets dirty really quickly in some stagnant harbors, but it washes and brushes right off when you get home.  I trailer which is another important key. It never sits in the water for any length of time like a moored or docked boat. 

All hull cleaners will work. With an old boat you don't have a choice since the gel coat might be already suspect. Maybe 4-2 part bleach will help in a pinch and stronger detergent.

IMG_6477a.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

7 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I only use soap and water to clean my hull, believe it or not?

I would never use those acids and chemicals listed as hull cleaners ever on my boat.

Those chemicals do work, and it will look real clean after, but it makes the fiberglass surface very porous.

Next time it goes back in the water again, it's dirty again because it fills back in the pores.  

Here's the trick..... I've always bought new boats every time I upgrade. New boats come out of their manufactured mold with a chemical release. They apply the final gel coat and polish. You don't want to break that integrity, if you do your hull will start to absorb  scum. I always keep it highly polished with a Teflon PT Polish. Sure it gets dirty really quickly in some stagnant harbors, but it washes and brushes right off when you get home.  I trailer which is another important key. It never sits in the water for any length of time like a moored or docked boat. 

All hull cleaners will work. With an old boat you don't have a choice since the gel coat might be already suspect. Maybe 4-2 part bleach will help in a pinch and stronger detergent.

IMG_6477a.jpg

You do know that the factories use acetone to clean the boats? A good power washing will get the crud off and polish your bottom paint. 

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

6 hours ago, riggler said:

This was the first time in 7 years that I didnt get to fish on Thanksgiving (work schedule) and i missed it

Anyone manage to get out and was it successful ?

I got out at night, i had a few school bass.

Today i watched as Gannett's dive bombed sea hearing just out of reach from shore.