Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 6 - Nov 30

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

We are winding down another fishing season. 

It felt like spring only a few months ago when we got our first COVID shot and life was going back to normal.

Time sure flies.

We are in November. Fewer of us are fishing, fewer fish reports, so this will be the last month for this portage.

It will run all the way to the end of November.

This 18 inch, 2 lbs. fly caught striper will see another day, maybe comeback next year?

It's actually much bigger than that. I just want to promote lying the other way, so everyone else's catch comes back into the norm.

IMG_2665.JPG

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Was out in SC today and lots of stripers around.  Did not catch any as big as Ray's client, mostly 20" type bass.  But there were a lot of them around and I had a friend who doesn't get on the salt much so we had a good time.   Switched to bottom fishing for an hour or two and some Tog and sea bass.  Lots of tog, but no big guys.   Caught a scup and two sea robins as well.  Plus two terns, we each got one.  First time I've caught a bird in many years.   They were really thick in some spots.  Both terns were released unharmed.   Man, are they aggressive.  One bit me twice.  We didn't have a towel on board, so couldn't cover his head.  Good thing I had gloves on.   Going out again tomorrow and will probably be my last trip.   Away next weekend and wife says I've been doing a lot of fishing last two months so doubt I'll make the drive to RI again.   

Please slow down when driving on the beach 

I have had way too many vehicles going well in excess of the 10 mph limit and the foul Language and aggressive nature of the people driving is alarming

it is a privilege to drive on the beach and people waking or sitting on the beach have the right of way

Was out this AM until 11.   Wish could have stayed out longer.   Good fishing and great weather.    Still some striper schools running around but nothing like yesterday.   Wrapped up morning bottom fishing and caught this 24” cod in 40 feet of water while fishing for tog. Was pretty excited as I wasn’t far from shore and have been thinking about trying to target them last year or two but never worked out.  Unfortunately we had to leave shortly after I caught it so not sure if there were more in the area.  

7744D575-B7D3-4EAA-AB25-504D2BF3E278.jpeg

Edited by notime
Added length.

7 mins ago, notime said:

Was out this AM until 11.   Wish could have stayed out longer.   Good fishing and great weather.    Still some striper schools running around but nothing like yesterday.   Wrapped up morning bottom fishing and caught this cod in 40 feet of water while fishing for tog. Was pretty excited as I wasn’t far from shore and have been thinking about trying to target them last year or two but never worked out.  Unfortunately we had to leave shortly after I caught it so not sure if there were more in the area.  

Fwiw, my friend who fishes almost ever day said he’s been getting one a day this week.

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Fwiw, my friend who fishes almost ever day said he’s been getting one a day this week.

As bycatch?   Hopefully that’s a sign of more to come as it would be fun to be able to target them in a small boat. 

14 mins ago, notime said:

As bycatch?   Hopefully that’s a sign of more to come as it would be fun to be able to target them in a small boat. 

Yeah, he’s been tog fishing.

11 hours ago, Kima said:

Took my friend tog fishing on Thursday, he caught a cod in 20 feet of water.  It's been another great year for tog too

It has been. I am just not finding keepers LOL....

4 keeper yesterday out of 60 or so shorts. Most shorts were 14-15inch too. Fished 50-60ft of water.

Edited by foxfai

13 hours ago, notime said:

Was out this AM until 11.   Wish could have stayed out longer.   Good fishing and great weather.    Still some striper schools running around but nothing like yesterday.   Wrapped up morning bottom fishing and caught this 24” cod in 40 feet of water while fishing for tog. Was pretty excited as I wasn’t far from shore and have been thinking about trying to target them last year or two but never worked out.  Unfortunately we had to leave shortly after I caught it so not sure if there were more in the area.  

Last year off the refuge had cod. I was totally surprised. 

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

It has been. I am just not finding keepers LOL....

4 keeper yesterday out of 60 or so shorts. Most shorts were 14-15inch too. Fished 50-60ft of water.

Me and my dad got our 2 person limit in a couple hours in 25 feet yesterday, try shallower.

16 hours ago, notime said:

Catching a cod so close to the mainland is very, very rare these day, even in the winter when the waters colder.

Congrats!

48 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Catching a cod so close to the mainland is very, very rare these day, even in the winter when the waters colder.

Congrats!

RI DEM has been catching cod fry in Narragansett bay. How do you think they got there, swam in from Cox's ledge?