Outbound short vs Rio Striper vs Coastal Quickshooter

Rate this topic

Billl nye

Thinking about buying a new intermediate line for my 8 and/or 10 wt rods.  Currently on both my 8 and 10 wt I use outbound short full intermediate.  I like the line but interested in trying something new that is a little lighter.  There really isn't a lot of information on the internet about Quickshooter or Rio Striper that I could find but they both seem to have similar taper profiles and grain weights but the quickshooter's head is 5 feet longer.  I was hoping someone who had fished them could provide their experience with either line and how they performed fishing in the surf.

Edited by Billl nye

I like the OB Short.

I have both the old intouch and the new line with slick-cast.  It's worth upgrading.

I owned the Quick-shooter and did not like it . Kinked.

But have friends who use it and like it.

It seems to sit flatter in a stripping basket vs the OB.

DK the Striper line.

Herb

I have always used Outbound Short lines and love them. I currently have a Coastal Quick shooter on my 9wt and I really enjoy it, very similar to the Outbound. I've tried the Rio striper lines in floating and intermediate and definitely prefer the quickshooter. 

On a separate note, my new favorite intermediate line is the Cortland Compact Intermediate, it's got a lighter presentation and the temperature range is unbelievable. It works equally well in both Miami heat and New England in October. I highly recommend trying it.

SWAGGER: scientific wild ass guess gotten exactly right. Swagger.

Ive used the clear OBS Intermediate since it came out and have the XP Coastal line too. They are so similar only the running line is slightly stiffer on the XP from what I can tell when I use them. The cited difference in head taper profiles seems academic to me.

The new 'Premium Striper' lines look very similar to the OBS from the info I have seen. The heads are a fraction shorter (2ft) and the head weights are the same other than they have changed the designated line weight on the packaging so they are more in line (+1 as opposed to +2 overweighted). I will be ordering the intermediate Striper line to try.

All decent lines IMO and work well for cold saltwater fishing. If I had to buy one now it would be the XP or the new Striper line.

Thanks for the replies.  After looking at the coastal quick shooter xp again it looks like it’s the same weight as the obs line but 2 feet longer.  The taper appears different but maybe it’s not as noticeable.  One thing I dislike about the obs line is especially on my 10 wt is it tends to dump on long casts with small flies.  Since the quick shooter and rio striper have reverse tapers compared to the obs line it seemed like it might eliminate some of that problem.  I didn’t know they produced a clear obs line both of the intermediates I have are grey.

I also fish the airflo ridge striper floater on my 8 wt and like it a lot but it doesn’t hold up very well for me in high wind situations otherwise I would probably give that a try on the 10 wt.  I might try the quick shooter in 8 wt and the rio striper in 10 to see what they are all about.

13 hours ago, Billl nye said:

Thinking about buying a new intermediate line for my 8 and/or 10 wt rods.  Currently on both my 8 and 10 wt I use outbound short full intermediate.  I like the line but interested in trying something new that is a little lighter.  There really isn't a lot of information on the internet about Quickshooter or Rio Striper that I could find but they both seem to have similar taper profiles and grain weights but the quickshooter's head is 5 feet longer.  I was hoping someone who had fished them could provide their experience with either line and how they performed fishing in the surf.

This is a topic where I've spent the last few years, experimenting / trying out, and matching to rods the RIO fly lines you're interested in. For me personally when it comes to Striper fishing I prefer lines that cast well particularly in cooler or cold conditions. And my benchmark fly line series for best casting, is the Wulff Triangular Taper series fly lines (for the most part) in Monoclear Intermediate & some Floating lines (Bass taper, Bermuda Sink tip). These lines have 30 foot head / there-abouts with a Triangular or Delta taper head design. 

When it came to cold water fishing Airflo lines seemed the best (least tangles) 25 years ago, but their head taper was less than desirable 35 feet plus ... with conventional WF cylinders. And their clear fly lines went away (though I think they offer them in the Sniper series).

Enter RIO lines. At first I started getting use to the standard Outbound series (36' heads), then in OB Short (30' head), on to the Coastal series (XP is awesome ... the standard not so much) and finally the Pike Musky lines (now called Predator series). RIO has the bad habit IMHO of changing their product line up & tapers every couple of years ... and it's hard to keep up. With the most current crop of RIO lines I find myself looking backwards .... typically looking for a line type they don't offer anymore. By way of example, I scored a few OBS Short Intermediates with clear heads off of eBay two months ago. They went for around $50 bucks or less ... which is better then the current MSRP of $100 for a fly line. So that's good but lucky that I found them.

In short I clearly prefer a Delta / Triangular Taper type head for my fly lines .... and good cold water performance when I can get it. I LOVE the RIO Coastal Quickshooter XP series ... and I'm crushing on their just discontinued Musky fly lines. You'll see below (all in one place) the fly lines from RIO I most prefer. From the great to the least (first to last). Good luck in your search!

6183e4c6c8cbe_CoastalQuickXP.jpg.cb5f2e6b5ab66bdae237357881a0982f.jpg

The QuickShooter XP lines are heavier in grain weight then standard line conventions ... in a fairly short head. They Rocket the Casbah!

intouch-pike-musky-flt.jpg.adca2fc99ec38f1f19621e0f507c37ae.jpg

With the Pike / Musky lines you can see the short head similarities to the Coastal Quick XP lines. I like their floating line for big poppers. Their S6 sinking heads cast great as well and are used when getting deeper is required for Striper fishing.

6183e4cac18e7_ITOBSprofile.jpg.b3ef62fef40d19f2631a69f3d96e363e.jpg

I only prefer the OutBound Short series in Intermediate with a clear-ish head ... which they don't make anymore. The WFI Coastal Quickshooter XP lines are that much better to me but only supporting 8wt to 10wt fly rods.

intouch-striper-flt.jpg.5096b1de4c981dcaf15c0131d4465f80.jpg

The Striper series is a bit of a disappointment to me. It gets a "meh" rating. Note its' conventional head design.

6183e4c7cf660_coastal-quickshooter.jpg.04db5fbc8ee33baa80c2636c9a5046ef.jpg

Very much of a more "standard" fly line head design with some nice features (clear head) .... I've found it to be as disappointing as the Striper lines.

And finally I'll add this standard disclaimer .... these are my preferences.  To each his own!

Catch a Big One! They are still out there!

Edited by KironaFly
grammar & spelling

RockfishOn!! :cool:

3 hours ago, Billl nye said:

Thanks for this information.  I think I will try the coastal quickshooter first and see how I like it.  

The RIO Coastal Quickshooter XP lines have "heavy" head grain weights. The 8wt. = 325 grains. / 9wt. = 375 grains / 10wt. = 425 grains.  They turn over better then the OBS Short WFI lines (less dumping) ... and it's best to use a relatively long tapered leader (around 8 foot). Cheers!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

Ended up getting an 8 wt coastal quick shooter xp for a good price and tried it out tonight.  Not sure why but it feels far lighter than the outbound short even though they weigh the same.  

It does seem to be prone to coiling but I’m going to try it out and see how I like it.  So far it cast pretty well in the backyard.

I just recently started fishing the quickshooter XP.  It casts well but the running line coils “kinks” something fierce. I try to stretch it as much as I can, but any other suggestions. I find myself constantly fixing the line while fishing quite annoying.  Just an fyi I used to have the same issue with the OBS line…stopped using it because of that reason.  I switched back to airflo striper line and while I don’t get the distance as the OBS/Quickshooter I also don’t have the coil issues.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, kermic said:

I just recently started fishing the quickshooter XP.  It casts well but the running line coils “kinks” something fierce. I try to stretch it as much as I can, but any other suggestions. I find myself constantly fixing the line while fishing quite annoying.  Just an fyi I used to have the same issue with the OBS line…stopped using it because of that reason.  I switched back to airflo striper line and while I don’t get the distance as the OBS/Quickshooter I also don’t have the coil issues.  Any suggestions?

The only time I’ve had coiling issues with rio obs is when it gets down into the 40s.  Otherwise it doesn’t coil but does tangle like crazy….all my outbounds are the intouch version.  

From casting the quick shooter in the backyard I noticed immediately it had a tendency to want to coil and the running line was stiffer than the obs lines I normally fish.  

13 mins ago, Billl nye said:

The only time I’ve had coiling issues with rio obs is when it gets down into the 40s.  Otherwise it doesn’t coil but does tangle like crazy….all my outbounds are the intouch version.  

From casting the quick shooter in the backyard I noticed immediately it had a tendency to want to coil and the running line was stiffer than the obs lines I normally fish.  

The difference is likely due to the core material used in the XP to achieve the clear head.

SF

• 3 weeks later...

Hey not to jump but the SA Titan is very similar to the Rio OBS lines.... Love the clear head & I feel that they tangle a bit less than Rios.  Many have been on sale on the auction site.

The Hover is also a very nice long throwing line (clear head) with a longer head and lighter head weight. 

Wulff Lost Tip is very nice - but their grain weights are way different than the SA or Rio.

Have yet to try the Quickshooter.