MAGA

St. Croix Seage Surf Rods

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Anyone try these spinning rods yet? Looks like it has some new technology (sounds similar to what Shimano has done in some of their freshwater lines) as well as a 15 year warranty from St. Croix. I'm not a St. Croix guy but this does seem good for a mid-range surf rod.

SEAGE SURF SPINNING RODS - St. Croix Rod (stcroixrods.com)

We got the 9' Med, and 10' MH in over the weekend and I'm a little disappointed. The handle is some kind of Wynn grip tape, and the 9' model is a 50/50 split. We'll see. If they hold up as well as their predecessor I'll be impressed.

9 hours ago, Local66 said:

We got the 9' Med, and 10' MH in over the weekend and I'm a little disappointed. The handle is some kind of Wynn grip tape, and the 9' model is a 50/50 split. We'll see. If they hold up as well as their predecessor I'll be impressed.

What was their predecessor? 

Ive thought about the seage 9 fter for schoolies and low slot fish (mass) but i think im going with an avid inshore. From what ive heard of mojo inshores breaking issues, im steering clear of that particular line. 

53 mins ago, bdowning said:

What was their predecessor? 

Ive thought about the seage 9 fter for schoolies and low slot fish (mass) but i think im going with an avid inshore. From what ive heard of mojo inshores breaking issues, im steering clear of that particular line. 

The only one we've had come back had a screen door take it out. We've probably sold 25-30 of them. 

10 hours ago, Local66 said:

Thanks for offering initial feedback. Was the Mojo Surf at this price point? I think that is what you're referencing.

3 hours ago, MAGA said:

Thanks for offering initial feedback. Was the Mojo Surf at this price point? I think that is what you're referencing.

It is. That's the line the seage replaced.

I really like St Croix rods, I own a BUNCH, but their surf rods just don’t do it for me. I’ve owned a few of all their current series, Legend, Avid, Mojo and Triumph and all of em were just meh at best… That said, I won’t be owning one of these as the handle assembly is a complete mess IMO. I don’t know who is providing input to their design team, but they need to wake up and pay attention… Only thing going for them is their warranty. 

So I have or have had the following:

6' premier, 7' triumph, 8' triumph, 10' mojo surf, 7' mojo conventional, and a 7' tidewater 

I'll say this. I've never broken one. And one has never not done what I wanted it to do. The only complaint I've ever had is with the 70/30 split on the mojo surf. What a pain in the ass.

I can't say there aren't better rods, I don't know. These are the first rods I landed on where I no longer had issues. They are light and durable and it's legit incredible sometimes. I have MH mojo salt conventionals with Penn squall 20LW and it's almost unjoyable catching a 20# fish on them. That setup shouldn't be that light yet that strong but it is.

My one issue is lately they seem to be making less and less Wisconsin rods. The mojo series has been made south of the border, but they keep introducing new mojo rods to replace rods made locally (like the Tidemaster) and it is concerning to me.

I've read the reviews on the mojo inshore. They're terrible. And there is enough there to make me think that they are accurate. I can't comment on the Seage but a 15 year warranty at that price is nice. I've never had a problem selling my St Croix rods either used, so I'd probably take a shot.

3 hours ago, Inshore said:

I really like St Croix rods, I own a BUNCH, but their surf rods just don’t do it for me. I’ve owned a few of all their current series, Legend, Avid, Mojo and Triumph and all of em were just meh at best…

I know the Mojo Surf was a very popular line in Jersey. Although many have enjoyed them, they just never appealed to me... Since you've owned all of their surf rods, what specifically was it about the rods? Weight, strength, durability, casting, build quality? 

Honestly , I don’t like st croix, I notice that the mojo has a bad name and that is why the have this new line in my opinion, they market it as being able to take light schoolies on the one rod and now they’ve made reinforcements to the handle . Probably since there was so many mojos that broke at that spot. 

I can’t believe so many here pushed the mojo. I couldn’t move a fish with the 11’ one day. For like 5 minutes. The fish got I tot he current. The guides were oozing with epoxy. The stopper on the butt fell into the ferrule amd makes noise whenever it gets flipped, the handle loosens constantly. Yet I’m supposed to send it back to the factory. No thanks. Your rod sucks. 

11 hours ago, MAGA said:

Since you've owned all of their surf rods, what specifically was it about the rods?

I’m not a fan of longer butt to reel seat lengths, so anything over about 22” is a no go for me, that said, most of their rods exceed that measurement, that is why I only ever used their shorter rods… Next, I found most of their blanks to be very fast, with the exception of the rods they call moderate, even then I did not like how they loaded up during a cast, they were ok, but i’ve found better for my taste. They need to go on a diet as well, I’ll let it at that.

Triumph - 8’ and 9’, just felt the action was sloppy and the build was clunky, but these are lower end rods so can’t expect much here. Build quality was lacking.

Mojo - 9’ M and MF, action on the M ok, MF was fairly fast and I absolutely hated the guides… again, build quality was meh

Avid - 8’ and 9’. 8’ butt to reel seat too long for this short of stick, ended up cutting 3” off the butt. This is the only one I still have and it just hangs from the rafters… 9’ butt too long as well. It broke directly in front of the reel seat while reeling in a 24” bass, WTF. Upgraded it to a Legend. Build quality is better but still was not impressed for the money.

Legend 9’ M and MF. MF was a Gen 2 and pool cue fast I felt. M was a Gen 3 and it was the best of the bunch. But by now I moved onto trying JDM Shore rods and that did that rod in….

So that’s that, my St Croix surf rod story…

Edited by Inshore

Yikes I was really upset when I wrote that last post. The rod is sensitive and I still have it, so thats a positive. I think I thought it would have been a magical rod that just caught the fish for me. 

My Mojo snapped clean on a bigger bass. They replaced the top guide section for no charge...Then the reel seat started spinning and I gave up. I did like it but after trying other rods I just didn't know what nice a solid rod was at the time. Still new to surfcasting compared to some with 20 plus years lol....This new rod does look nice! Ive been on the ODM bandwagon for a while now though....

4 mins ago, Gfemminella said:

My Mojo snapped clean on a bigger bass. They replaced the top guide section for no charge...Then the reel seat started spinning and I gave up. I did like it but after trying other rods I just didn't know what nice a solid rod was at the time. Still new to surfcasting compared to some with 20 plus years lol....This new rod does look nice! Ive been on the ODM bandwagon for a while now though....

I hear ya. This is like my 7th season, so I don't have 20+ years either. I've heard of the Mojo quality/durability issues. The guides, odd handle lengths (at least for plugging), and tapers just never appealed to me. I was thinking if this new rod was build with a protective coating, blank reinforcement, and a 15 year warranty it might be worth the few extra bucks.