bob_G

Pig hunting

Rate this topic

180 posts in this topic

Anyone ever been?

Surprisingly affordable, all inclusive packages. 100% success rate.  Beaucoup pigs from N. Carolina to Texas. Some states don't require licenses. Animals cleaned, butchered and packaged.  Supposedly good to eat.

My buddy did a trip like that years ago somewhere in upstate NY. He had fun but hasn’t gone again. I guess the bore was charging him when he took the shot so somewhere in the back of his mind he was wondering what would’ve happened if he missed.

The meat was good but there was a ton of it so sorta lost its appeal after a while.

It does sound like fun though if you’re into that kind of hunting.

39 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

My buddy did a trip like that years ago somewhere in upstate NY. He had fun but hasn’t gone again. I guess the bore was charging him when he took the shot so somewhere in the back of his mind he was wondering what would’ve happened if he missed.

The meat was good but there was a ton of it so sorta lost its appeal after a while.

It does sound like fun though if you’re into that kind of hunting.

Thanks SL,

I was sort of leaning towards Texas. Some of those all inclusive packages seemed intriguing. I read a few times that snake boots are a must because of rattlesnakes. So that's pretty cool.

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks SL,

I was sort of leaning towards Texas. Some of those all inclusive packages seemed intriguing. I read a few times that snake boots are a must because of rattlesnakes. So that's pretty cool.

Snake boots and cactus resistant also.  

Done em in Florida. Be very careful of the guaranteed hunts. We got hosed once.  Ended up being a “hunt” in what I would deem maybe an acre of fenced in swamp. Felt like a petting zoo with palmettos mixed in

There is a small population of wild boar in NH. Technically they are considered property of a game farm they escaped from, so written permission is needed. I’ve heard they alway approve it. 

8 hours ago, evancanalrat said:

There is a small population of wild boar in NH. Technically they are considered property of a game farm they escaped from, so written permission is needed. I’ve heard they alway approve it. 

While this is true, they are exceedingly rare outside Corbin park. I hunted the Ruger WMA which boarders this park and only saw one deer and didn’t cut another while tracking it all day. I did sneak up on a moose and have some nice video of that. 

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

Anyone ever been?

Surprisingly affordable, all inclusive packages. 100% success rate.  Beaucoup pigs from N. Carolina to Texas. Some states don't require licenses. Animals cleaned, butchered and packaged.  Supposedly good to eat.

100% success rate is not hunting....................

PS they are good to eat if properly cared for starting with the field dressing.....................

26 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I did some light research and I guess some people still hunt wild bore with spears. That seems more fun to me than shooting them, but Im not really into guns to begin with. 

Hunting wild boar with spears, now that is the macho way to do it.................

1 min ago, b-ware said:

Hunting wild boar with spears, now that is the macho way to do it.................

I know a girl that hunted one with a knife in HI. I guess they use dogs to get them. 

2 mins ago, Joe G said:

Forget guns.......get the heart pumping.....use dogs and knifes on wild boar.

If its big enough I think you need to use a spear. For those who dont know, the way you spear hunt a wild bore is to piss it off, then put the butt of the spear in the ground, with the spear pointing at the bore. When the bore charges you, it will impale itself upon the spear. Takes a lot of guts to kneel down there holding the spear in place with all your strength while a massive bore is charging you. 

I dont think I am brave enough, or even strong enough, to try this, but it certainly seems more fun than shooting them.

10 mins ago, b-ware said:

Thats how they were hunted in the past, way before guns were invented. I agree, it is way more macho than shooting them