Surfrat815

VS 300?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Found a VS 300 for a good deal so might jump on it. Does anyone still fish one and if so what do you use it for? I really like the idea of being able to crank in big fish with it, I'm just kind of worried about the line lay issues on the older VS. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

I still use mine for plugging striped bass.  Perfect slow retrieve for nighttime plugging and eeling.  Use it with braid and have no issues. 
This reel coupled with a lami 1321m was the standard plugging outfit for years. 

6 hours ago, Surfrat815 said:

Found a VS 300 for a good deal so might jump on it. Does anyone still fish one and if so what do you use it for? I really like the idea of being able to crank in big fish with it, I'm just kind of worried about the line lay issues on the older VS. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

IMHO. Not worth it. The vs300 was designed for tuna if I recall. It’s heavy as hell and it’s a pain to service. 

dz is an original vs from years ago.  If I were to start off now there is no way any good deal would be worth it for vs300

Posted (edited)

It was originally sold by the Surfcaster for skishing for Montauk bass using mono. And was a waterproof reimagining of the Crack or Luxor 300, an iconic Montauk reel that was large, heavy, slow and had the most delicate screws. For many years, the VS300 was the only reel that allowed you to fish submerged for an entire weekend without servicing the reel. Which was not a big deal for some. I spent years fishing an Abu 6500C with stock drags underwater. You have to completely break it down, wash, and rebuild it every time you fish. Stock drags and bearings too. Most people serviced reels in their van and had a pile of reels to fish. The VS300 changed everything.

Edited by Skin

I have one I got a great deal on when they were discontinued. It is the smoothest VS I’ve ever felt . I use it for sharks on a Daiwa ballistic 35 in Florida . It’s heavy but it’s perfect for what I do . It’s slow gears are very powerful . I put a power knob on it . It’s the one combo that I am completely happy with , I will never part with it . 

6 hours ago, Goldy said:

IMHO. Not worth it. The vs300 was designed for tuna if I recall. It’s heavy as hell and it’s a pain to service. 

dz is an original vs from years ago.  If I were to start off now there is no way any good deal would be worth it for vs300

The 300 is the original VS, was not designed for tuna.  You might be thinking of the 275.

45 mins ago, Skin said:

It was originally sold by the Surfcaster for skishing for Montauk bass using mono. And was a waterproof reimagining of the Crack or Luxor 300, an iconic Montauk reel that was large, heavy, slow and had the most delicate screws. For many years, the VS300 was the only reel that allowed you to fish submerged for an entire weekend without servicing the reel. Which was not a big deal for some. I spent years fishing an Abu 6500C with stock drags underwater. You have to completely break it down, wash, and rebuild it every time you fish. Stock drags and bearings too. Most people serviced reels in their van and had a pile of reels to fish. The VS300 changed everything.

The reel was originally advertised but never sold by The Surfcaster, I fished Luxors, Cracks, Penn 704's and 710's underwater and completely submerged all season for many years, none needed any service, only minor modifications before use. 

3 hours ago, SC said:

The reel was originally advertised but never sold by The Surfcaster, I fished Luxors, Cracks, Penn 704's and 710's underwater and completely submerged all season for many years, none needed any service, only minor modifications before use. 

Steve - I can't remember if you were talking about vs300 in the past.  Maybe it wasn't a Tuna reel.   I just can't see how a vs300 is needed nowadays for surf fishing.  

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Goldy said:

:wag:

I don't believe so. The VS 400 was the offshore Big Game spinning reel..!  ( these photos were posted years ago by a member here)

I think there was something like 50 made. Seen one in Tackle Direct years ago and I would not even consider using this reel. It weighed in at 4 pounds. As bbfish said the VS 275 is a better choice for tuna fishing. I have taken 80lb class Bluefin tuna on my VS250 no problem.

@Surfrat815 Found a VS 300 for a good deal so might jump on it. Does anyone still fish one and if so what do you use it for? I really like the idea of being able to crank in big fish with it, I'm just kind of worried about the line lay issues on the older VS. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

You can use it for anything you like. I believe the weight is comparable to the VS250   A friend of mine had one and I've tried his. It's slightly slower than the VS250 with a gear ratio of 3.25:1 with 30" per crank compared to 4.25:1 and 36" per crank on the VS250. As far as line lay goes it is what it is, but never heard of anyone having a issue with it. You get that slight con-cave line lay if you spool up level, but if you spool up convex after you make your first 100 yard cast it levels out perfect. There is a video out there that shows you how to spool up. I will go take a photo of mine so you can see the end results if done properly. 

Edited by Lou T

The tackle shop I patronize showed me the proper way to install line on a VS spool. Here is a video on how it's done to give you a idea.

Posted (edited)

End results VS250 - 50lb. Daiwa Saltiga boat braid.

myvs.jpg.2a99b8dc840816434653a8ea7a5dde0e.jpg

Edited by Lou T

Years ago someone was selling stainless side plate screws for the Luxor and the Crack 300-I still use the reels  once in a while--would anyone know where I could purchase the stainless screws? would appreciate any info -rreelman

I have 8 of them. Use two when I go to Florida for sharks from the beach. My pic of the Marlin is a 300. You won’t see me throwing spoons or plugs all day. There tanks. One with 40lb PP the other is 80lb PP.