AmericanStriper

Single guides surf rod

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Let's say I want to build a 10 foot surf rod with all of its guides single foots. It will be used with a 4000 size reel, and weight rating will be at 1/2 oz to  2 1/2 oz. I will probably use it with lures in the 1/2 to 2 oz range. 

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? And what single guides model or brand will be up to this task?

I would do it.

Fuji KL-H's

KL25H KL12H KL8M KL7L to KT7's

I've set up a 13'6 3-6oz with KL25H KL12H KL8M to KT8's throwing 4-6oz + bait with 20-30lb main line braid knotted to 20-odd feet of 50-65lb braid casting leader.

If it can handle that it will handle your requirments

Edited by ZAFisher

5 hours ago, AmericanStriper said:

Thank you. Basically a KR concept, right? Didn't know single foot guides can handle even 6 ounce weight.

Absolutely a KR Concept.

I used 11 guides + the tip top - spread the load.

On a 10' I'd do 10+ tip top.

No problem at all.  Earlier this year hooked a ~150lb mako on my light inshore rod, with small titanium single foot guides.  Not a comfortable 50 minute fight, but no issues at all with the rod. 

Only issue I see with single foot guides is durability transferring, moving, storing the rods. 

IMG_5066.jpg

Single foots work fine. No reason not to use them.

Did recently have a KL10 come out of the wrap on a cast on my GSB 1201L. Did not pass a knot or anything.
Pushed in back in and continued fishing. Been like that since early October and still works like it should.

13 hours ago, Harp said:

No problem at all.  Earlier this year hooked a ~150lb mako on my light inshore rod, with small titanium single foot guides.  Not a comfortable 50 minute fight, but no issues at all with the rod. 

"Only issue I see with single foot guides is durability transferring, moving, storing the rods. "

On a couple of occasions I had the butt guides damaged during shipping. It may be better to tape on double foot guides after arriving at your fishing destination.

Built a 10ft. Super Surf with Microwave guides, collector & stripper guides are double foot and the rest are single.I'm surprized not many here build rods with the Microwave guides

14 hours ago, prican1 said:

Built a 10ft. Super Surf with Microwave guides, collector & stripper guides are double foot and the rest are single.I'm surprized not many here build rods with the Microwave guides

because they over-choke anything above PE1.0 and any line speed faster than a lob cast

Edited by cbinvb

On 11/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, prican1 said:

What are microwave guides, and why would you use them? I looked it up and it does look strange.

I have not used them on a surf rod yet, I have used them on a 7’ spinning rod, casts 

like a cannon. The idea is got the loop out of the as fast as possible so the line shoots straight through the guides, for distance.