Slack Tidings

(Used) Tacoma vs Frontier

Rate this topic

214 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, Mack26 said:

Had an ‘02 Tundra for the past 17 years, over 220K on it and still ran like a top. Body was really starting to rust, so reluctantly traded it in. Found a mint ‘16 Tacoma to take its place. Can’t beat the Toyota reliability.

5D76C512-6850-47FD-AECE-7D98052568AA.jpeg

Dam...2015 rims? 

My 3rd Tacoma. 13, 15, 17. 5 radiators on my 2017. To be fair, it was a bad batch of radiators. All cracked in the middle. Toyota put me on the hook for the last one saying I did it. The dealer took care of me after complaining on yelp. Has not happened again in 2 years. Gas access hatch has to be replaced, drivers side door loose. Minor issues. Will be addressed under extended warranty. 

I have no idea if I would buy another. 

6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Dam...2015 rims? 

Not sure, i think everything is original? Did they change something in ‘16? Truck was owned by a little old man, who basically puttered around town. 12,000 mi on it, and garaged. Hasn’t got a scratch on it, inside or out. I put the new tires on it, but thought the rims were original.

19 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

My former best vehicle ever was a 1990 Toyota Pup that was smooshed on 9/11 with 225K miles and if it hadn't gotten smooshed I bet I'd still have it. However first place now belongs to the Ridgeline at over 240K with nothing but required maintenance which I am religious about. It isn't an I-frame , it's a beefed up uni-body for people who want limited truck abilities but would rather have their father's Oldsmobile ride. It's innovative from the trunk in the bed to uni-body to the sideways engine and no tranny hump. The cabin is large and built for fat Americans like myself. It goes everywhere I ever took the Toyota and pulls the same boat but I don't do anything even remotely extreme with it. Mileage is meh at 20 hgwy and 15-16 towing. But it just goes.

But an awesome trunk.

Easy Cowboy :laugh:

I love my Ridgeline....after the suburban, the trunk is sweet though!

19 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

I think they had problems in 2006 but from 2007 on NP. You do, however have to clean out the trunk track drain at least once a year.

My drain got stopped up, what a mess lol

Had 5 Tacoma’s , loved them , no problems. Waited for them to come out with electric seats for my back . Went with the Ridgeline , on my second one . I trade often . May never go back. 24/26 around town , 28 hi way, 30 if I drive slower , sometimes. Take out goes in the trunk. Along with the cooler etc,etc, etc.

Edited by Big tree
Adding

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Not sure, i think everything is original? Did they change something in ‘16? Truck was owned by a little old man, who basically puttered around town. 12,000 mi on it, and garaged. Hasn’t got a scratch on it, inside or out. I put the new tires on it, but thought the rims were original.

I stand corrected after looking it up. That package you have came factory on some 2016's.  Those are 2nd generation steel rims. Toyota must have had an abundance.

BC184CB3-7A8F-4C65-8FD1-9A6703333DA7.jpeg

25 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I stand corrected after looking it up. That package you have came factory on some 2016's.  Those are 2nd generation steel rims. Toyota must have had an abundance.

They were still putting those rims on the base SR models up until some of the 2020's. I have a friend that bought a brand new 2020 (could be a 2019) with those rims. 

52 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Ok, ueah that’s what i thought. Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, Big tree said:

Had 5 Tacoma’s , loved them , no problems. Waited for them to come out with electric seats for my back . Went with the Ridgeline , on my second one . I trade often . May never go back. 24/26 around town , 28 hi way, 30 if I drive slower , sometimes. Take out goes in the trunk. Along with the cooler etc,etc, etc.

28 mpg is impressive. I get 17 with my Tacoma. 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

28 mpg is impressive. I get 17 with my Tacoma. 

I got 23.9 on the highway with a 17 sport.....reduced to 14 with lift kit, 285's and other add ons. Lol

My friends Tacos are nicer, but we’re talking many thousands more verses the Nissan. I’m very happy with my used 2014 Frontier I bought in 2016. It had 23,000 miles, and it cost me the same amount.

All of the Frontiers idle hard, other than that it’s a solid truck on and off road.

Ridgeline is real nice, but needs a longer bed.

Edited by cheech