Frank2104

Another night fishing ettiquette question

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Does the night fishing community also frown upon small fires like you might run in your bbq kettle for a wee bit o warmth?  Seems like it might with some of the comments I've seen on other posts. Haven't been out at night yet. Just a couple mornings before sunrise when my headlamp was in use to rig up.

I think that is fine.  I love fires in cold weather, just not huge ones, little ones below sand level.  

What is not ok to me is driving at night with high beams on and coming right by my truck for no good reason.  Or lighting up the beach like it's noon for your personal pleasure ride at 3am.  I see guys with lanters at night, no need for that either in my opinion.  

I fished an area with a ledge this fall, hooked up, real dark out, alone.  Used headlamp to see my line at rod tip and then I mistakenly looked down, 100% sure fish was just in front of me, the light spooked it and next thing I know it came unbuttoned.  Stupid me.  

1 hour ago, Catskill John said:

Fires are alright as long as they are downwind of Critter Gitter :) 

i was downwind, but he was about to leave too..if it was just me, no fire :howdy:

I agree completely with trying to avoid hitting folks fishing through the night with your high beams or getting too close when driving by.  I am not so sure about the affects of a fire or lantern on fish in the surf, I don't believe there's any science on it.  I think that Striper fishermen (Persons) have observed that Stripers, in particular, don't care to be in shallow water when the sun is bright, and often move to deeper water.  Fires and lanterns on the beach would not produce any affect like a bright sun.  I have also noticed that commercial fishing boats and recreational fishing piers project light onto the water to attract fish. Not a wise investment if it scares them away.  Just some thoughts.

54 mins ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I agree completely with trying to avoid hitting folks fishing through the night with your high beams or getting too close when driving by.  I am not so sure about the affects of a fire or lantern on fish in the surf, I don't believe there's any science on it.  I think that Striper fishermen (Persons) have observed that Stripers, in particular, don't care to be in shallow water when the sun is bright, and often move to deeper water.  Fires and lanterns on the beach would not produce any affect like a bright sun.  I have also noticed that commercial fishing boats and recreational fishing piers project light onto the water to attract fish. Not a wise investment if it scares them away.  Just some thoughts.

A lot of times it's the sudden change in light.  Casting shadows or instantly turning on an unnatural light source.  Super bright LED is a no no for me.  

Does the same to the fish that it does to you when these guys drive by with the illegal offroad light bars on lighting up the beach for no good reason, pisses you off.

17 mins ago, spinr0k said:

Does the same to the fish that it does to you when these guys drive by with the illegal offroad light bars on lighting up the beach for no good reason, pisses you off.

Well said

I'll add one more thing. If you've never surf fished through the night on a remote barrier island with no light, you're missing an incredible experience.  Glowing water line from the bioluminescent plankton, a night sky that I do not have the words to describe and sometimes some great fishing. From an etiquette view, I would not want to keep anyone from the experience by blasting light on them. :)

2 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I feel like fish don't mind a stable continuous light, which certainly attracts baitfish. As a fly fisherman I often have good luck near street lights. Those commercial boat lights are crazy bright. I imagine they must attract bunker or something for netting.

10 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I'll add one more thing. If you've never surf fished through the night on a remote barrier island with no light, you're missing an incredible experience.  Glowing water line from the bioluminescent plankton, a night sky that I do not have the words to describe and sometimes some great fishing. From an etiquette view, I would not want to keep anyone from the experience by blasting light on them. :)

Amen! Love fishing south point in Ocracoke on a moonless clear night. A lot of folks don't underrstand, that after being out there awhile without any kind of light, your eyes do adjust to the darkness.

Posted (edited)

I personaly don't like people making a fire on the beach, They either leave it smoldering when they leave, or don't clean there mess up,  The left over wood washes up all over the beach during a high tide. Then some poor fisherman hits the burried wood. Want a camp fire, go camping, want to surf fish, then just fish.:howdy:

Edited by hunter123

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I personaly don't like people making a fire on the beach, They either leave it smoldering when they leave, or don't clean there mess up,  The left over wood washes up all over the beach during a high tide. Then some poor fisherman hits the burried wood. Want a camp fire, go camping, want to surf fish, then just fish.:howdy:

You really have to plan for a fire and be prepared to completely extinguish it and pack out any remaining wood, without setting yourself on fire.  I hate having chunks of wood hitting my under carriage when driving down the beach.  Makes me cringe and adds stress to the experience.