Sudsy

Fishing reports for November 2021

Rate this topic

1,391 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, JimK said:

Started off today in my home Waters in Moco. Caught a 20in. Fluke on a storm shad. Looked dead otherwise.  Decided to take a look over the southern border.. good call.. all afternoon blitz... mostly 28" and up... saw many fish over 20 lbs and up to 30-35 lbs.  Sorry BassAssasin.. I lost count of how many.. but today wasn't really about keeping count. It was about enjoying a truly spectacular day of fishing.  The type of day that some may never experience.. and I'm glad I stuck around all day. Many times you could see the bass strike your plug as the fish was cruising through a wave.  My last fish of the day came after sunset and it was my biggest of the day by far. I didn't have a ruler, but measured against my leg I would say it was a 37 or 38 inch fish. And I can't tell you how much it weighed exactly but it was a pig. Fat fat belly full of Bunker I'm sure. If it's possible that a 37 or 38 in. Bass weighs 30 lb then that's what I'm guessing it was. Thank you Jesus for today.

Back when it was legal, I kept 2 of the bass I caught in a peanut blitz, a 38 inch and a 37 inch fish. Laying side by side the 37 inch fish looked much bigger than the 38 inch fish. When weighed at a tackle shop, the longer fish weighed 18 and 1/4 pounds and the much fatter 37 inch fish weighed 21 pounds.

55 mins ago, Artie Fishil said:

Back when it was legal, I kept 2 of the bass I caught in a peanut blitz, a 38 inch and a 37 inch fish. Laying side by side the 37 inch fish looked much bigger than the 38 inch fish. When weighed at a tackle shop, the longer fish weighed 18 and 1/4 pounds and the much fatter 37 inch fish weighed 21 pounds.

Thanks.. it's difficult to estimate weight..plus arms and back were beat.. so I'm sure they felt heavier than they really were.

9 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

You can do whatever you want. I dont give a. s#!% about PB or high numbers. Not interested in being an internet hero. I would rather hunt for a few fish I had to work for and seek the satisfaction of a well planned approach than fighting a bunch of guys casting over my line to catch fish that will hit anything that moves. So you believe 9% mortality rate is a fabrication? What would you say is a more accurate number? How many state records came from fishing situations like that?  Its clearly about what you want not fishing responsibly.

Who said anything about fishing on top of other guys or posting all of my catches. The 9% mortality rate is absolutely bull****. I wouldn't even begin to attempt a estimated percent of c&r fails..it's literally impossible to get accurate numbers but I'm pretty damn confident most experienced fisherman release properly. 

33 mins ago, Shortcast said:

Who said anything about fishing on top of other guys or posting all of my catches. The 9% mortality rate is absolutely bull****. I wouldn't even begin to attempt a estimated percent of c&r fails..it's literally impossible to get accurate numbers but I'm pretty damn confident most experienced fisherman release properly. 

You think 9% is too high or too low? 

6 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

You think 9% is too high or too low? 

There's way too many factors..are we talking boat fish included? We all know they dont count as catches. Lol my main concern was any experienced surfcaster endulging in losing count of catches has a much lower rate.

6 mins ago, Shortcast said:

There's way too many factors..are we talking boat fish included? We all know they dont count as catches. Lol my main concern was any experienced surfcaster endulging in losing count of catches has a much lower rate.

I'd bet on it being much higher. Especially when we have weeks like we are having. When every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an Ugly Stick is catching them. The fish that aren't being poached aren't being treated very well. 

Got out this morning OC because I'd be stupid not to at least give it a look. Looked like a dead sea to me, couldn't find the bait. I'm kind of glad for the break though the job would have been pissed if I called out again. Wish there were at least some sand eels to hold these fish around. 

14 hours ago, JimK said:

My last fish of the day came after sunset and it was my biggest of the day by far. I didn't have a ruler, but measured against my leg I would say it was a 37 or 38 inch fish. And I can't tell you how much it weighed exactly but it was a pig. Fat fat belly full of Bunker I'm sure. If it's possible that a 37 or 38 in. Bass weighs 30 lb then that's what I'm guessing it was. Thank you Jesus for today.

May be closer to 20 lbs if fat.   I once surf-caught a 38" fattie stuffed with sandeels that weighed 21lb on the boga.

Really glad you had a great day - I know you worked your butt off to find time from work to fish.  Well-deserved!

Same goes to all the other guys enjoying the peanut blitzes after so enduring many fruitless days this year - you all deserved this!

Edited by GeoffT

Late report - wrapped up my kayak fishing season last week with a big bang.  Kinda lost count but probably 20-25 fish, many in the 30"-40" range, all stuffed with bunker.  Toward the end, switched to a redfin for some topwater fun in shallower water - I never get tired of watching the explosive surface hits and misses.  :wee:

It was just me and a bud and maybe one or two other kayakers who had the entire area to ourselves.  It was the best November in the best year of kayak fishing in terms of quantity and quality.  

Edited by GeoffT

1 hour ago, Shortcast said:

I agree experienced fisherman do but I watched a mess of 32-36" fish dragged up the rocks and launched back in one night last week so mortality rate in that case was probably 50%.  Its difficult to accurately assess mortality rate in the situation we are discussing and admittedly I am not familiar with the methodology used to arrive at that number. But needless to say there are a % of released fish that do not make it. Years ago I had a 32" fish very healthy looking , got it in quickly, one hook in the upper lip out of the water maybe 20 seconds dead as a doornail. On the other extreme I have caught fish with detached gill rakers or severely damaged filaments that were seemingly healthy.  Saltwater guides assoc. has a good article on C&R mortality.

29 mins ago, GeoffT said:

May be closer to 20 lbs if fat.   I once surf-caught a 38" fattie stuffed with sandeels that weighed 21lb on the boga.

Really glad you had a great day - I know you worked your butt off to find time from work to fish.  Well-deserved!

Same goes to all the other guys enjoying the peanut blitzes after so enduring many fruitless days this year - you all deserved this!

Thanks Geoff!... all of the fish yesterday were fatties...so yeah, I would agree with your estimate.