Fishing reports for November 2021

Rate this topic

Sudsy

5 mins ago, GeoffT said:

I find some plugs don't swim well without a rear hook but it's certainly something to consider. 

I was totally in disagreement, had everything briefly single belly treble rigged with most getting a swivel / cut treble. 

Then I noticed my hydro minnow would not swim correctly without a rear treble. Did some pool tests and found the big bomber is the same - needs the rear hook.

The small bombers are enhanced with just a belly hook / swivel / cut treble. Etc. 

56 mins ago, EricDice said:

I was totally in disagreement, had everything briefly single belly treble rigged with most getting a swivel / cut treble. 

Then I noticed my hydro minnow would not swim correctly without a rear treble. Did some pool tests and found the big bomber is the same - needs the rear hook.

The small bombers are enhanced with just a belly hook / swivel / cut treble. Etc. 

Just cut the points off the hooks if the plug doesn't swim well without. There are other ways to compensate for that weight and drag created by the rear hook but that's easiest. I never use rear trebles. I also pinch all barbs and cut one hook off the belly treble. Yes I miss a lot of fish. Other night landed 10 and dropped 15. I dont care I am not in a contest. Ruins my night when I injure a fish. Omo

3 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

Just cut the points off the hooks if the plug doesn't swim well without. There are other ways to compensate for that weight and drag created by the rear hook but that's easiest. I never use rear trebles. I also pinch all barbs and cut one hook off the belly treble. Yes I miss a lot of fish. Other night landed 10 and dropped 15. I dont care I am not in a contest. Ruins my night when I injure a fish. Omo

I’m all for that. I’ll definitely give the cut off hook points a try. I have crushed barbs in the past - but not when I’m on two straight (separated by a few weeks) sleepless overnight epic skunkins.

Next session, whenever that family allowed window hopefully comes, is not for my conservationist side. 

15 hours ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

Ha it’s been good to me a few times this season.  Have you been eeling at all?

Naw man. I just keep thinking what if I get lucky and hook a

50 on the rocks? Can’t gaff em

anymore. 

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Walk'em down...fight'em on the beach.....

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Made a trip to the deep south this morning but it didn't change the current skunk pattern, unless you count one stinking hickory.  Had a dolphin show at stop number one and got to say hello to a seal at stop number two.  Never saw any bait so really no reason for the fish to show.  Plan to make a trip to the northern reaches in the morning and work it to the south.  Sure feels more and more like we are going to have an early close to the season, especially since this should be peak time right now.

22 mins ago, MC55 said:

Made a trip to the deep south this morning but it didn't change the current skunk pattern, unless you count one stinking hickory.  Had a dolphin show at stop number one and got to say hello to a seal at stop number two.  Never saw any bait so really no reason for the fish to show.  Plan to make a trip to the northern reaches in the morning and work it to the south.  Sure feels more and more like we are going to have an early close to the season, especially since this should be peak time right now.

JH seems to think this chew will last through Christmas. I only have a few years at this to speak of but usually the tin and teaser crew is out by now and that isn't the case yet, and 50# fish still being caught in the RB - wouldn't that indicate this is lasting longer than usual?

15 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

JH seems to think this chew will last through Christmas. I only have a few years at this to speak of but usually the tin and teaser crew is out by now and that isn't the case yet, and 50# fish still being caught in the RB - wouldn't that indicate this is lasting longer than usual?

Not so sure the way this fall has been.  Some of those fish to the north will just go up the Hudson to winter over.  I would like to think there will still be a push to the south, but if we don't get sand eels or herring to run along the beach, we could be in for a long winter.  I sure hope I'm wrong, and certainly not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Not so sure the way this fall has been.  Some of those fish to the north will just go up the Hudson to winter over.  I would like to think there will still be a push to the south, but if we don't get sand eels or herring to run along the beach, we could be in for a long winter.  I sure hope I'm wrong, and certainly not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Yep. Especially more worrisome with the hard NW/NNW winds pushing warm inshore waters offshore. Those bodies of fish could follow the bait out and come back all in deep water without even a sniff from us in the suds. 

Out this morning on one of those things where the fish don’t count , way in the back of   Loaded with Bass . Haven’t seen a fish finder screen look like that.  Fish everywhere , big fish still there also, adult bunker on the menu.  They crewed from sunup till about 10 then stopped . Told turn on again usually 2 to 5. Water temp 52* with incoming water.  Now have to wait to find out if the are staying local or going south . Fun morning done before the wind kicked up. 

Edited by Irishfire18
To specific

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Mike - I'm with you on this statement, I think a lot of the fish in the bay that people think will hit the beach are actually heading in the other direction

• Sudsy locked this topic