Sudsy

Fishing reports for November 2021

Rate this topic

1,391 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

As goldy would say..cheated, went on boat. What a bite. Fish weren't huge but a lot of 30 inch, 32inchers. Bite was on jigging, as well as deep-water tsunamis to cut thru the wind. I just don't know what it's going to take to get these fish out of limbo and head towards the banks, particularly in bay..they are so close! Yet they never seem to break the invisible wall. Happened yesterday for me off the beach..saw birds a half mile out..than a quarter mile and that was it. Never came in beyond that  

Cheating counts as long as it doesn’t involve trolling.  Trolled bass don’t count.  Flutter spoons. Plugs. Shads.   

especially with my bum foot the boat is the place to be. 

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Cheating counts as long as it doesn’t involve trolling.  Trolled bass don’t count.  Flutter spoons. Plugs. Shads.   

especially with my bum foot the boat is the place to be. 

What’s the difference between trolling and party boat or a charter? In all these cases fishing skills are not involved..

1 hour ago, levari said:

What’s the difference between trolling and party boat or a charter? In all these cases fishing skills are not involved..

I dont know. I dont go on party boats or private charters and i dont troll.  

2 hours ago, levari said:

C'mon now, maybe you meant "casting skills are not involved". :howdy: 

1 hour ago, adoboboy said:

C'mon now, maybe you meant "casting skills are not involved". :howdy: 

It’s not like togging where the timing and reflexes are crucial. In the case of stripers the only one who need some skills is the captain of the boat..Did you read the party boats fishing reports yesterday? Everyone was on fish in the 50#, 40# class . How much of fishing skills was needed to catch those fish in comparison to the skills that you will need to catch just one of those fish from shore?

Unless you are the captain of the boat I don’t see any difference between jigging or trolling especially if you have fun in either of these methods..

It all counts, I hate when we have to go down this path. I don't have an ocean type of boat but when I get invited on someone's boat who is that type, I jump all over it. Way better odds of getting on fish, it would be dumb not to go.

Trolling is boring though. I have no idea how to do it, I've just been with people who do and I sit there and twiddle my thumbs til something happens. In the nice weather it's relaxing but in the cold it sucks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, daves745t said:

Trolling isn't fishing.  I'd rather stay home.

I haven't enjoyed it but put me on a 200# tuna and I might change my mind.

You realize that trolling the abyss doesn't produce anything, especially for the offshore guys. I've talked to them. You spend thousands in gas before you develop any sort of spots. There is 100% a skill involved there, mostly on the captain as mentioned. Just because we do not enjoy it doesn't mean there isn't something to it. My brother down in SC got into trolling and hasn't brought in anything yet except junk fish. It's not some sort of guarantee that you troll some spoons and end up with big fish. I met a guy who just got into trolling mojos up here a year or two ago and has yet to catch a striper doing it. I've come to learn there is certainly something to it is all I am saying. Plus you have to upkeep the boat, invest in the equipment, learn to tie new rigs, etc.

Edited by hurricane1091

Trolling a lure at 5mph vs casting a lure and reeling it in 5mph. Hmmmmm. I'd leave to the captain at that time on what he would want to do. He is the one finding the fish and putting fish on the boat. I do both from the kayak and usually troll to find the pile then it turns out to be mostly jigging anyway. Unless the feed is on top, then casting and plugging away can be a blast which doesn't happen most of the time for me with stripers in open water.

Picked up a couple of chunky schoolies Monday night on a blurple SP. Hit the same spot last night and got one solid hit but not much else going on. Lots of bait observed and looked like some small bass around feeding on them. Just not interested in anything I was throwing last night.

Anyone else notice the chopper flying up and down the coast last night?

35 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Trolling a lure at 5mph vs casting a lure and reeling it in 5mph. Hmmmmm. I'd leave to the captain at that time on what he would want to do. He is the one finding the fish and putting fish on the boat. I do both from the kayak and usually troll to find the pile then it turns out to be mostly jigging anyway. Unless the feed is on top, then casting and plugging away can be a blast which doesn't happen most of the time for me with stripers in open water.

42 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I haven't enjoyed it but put me on a 200# tuna and I might change my mind.

You realize that trolling the abyss doesn't produce anything, especially for the offshore guys. I've talked to them. You spend thousands in gas before you develop any sort of spots. There is 100% a skill involved there, mostly on the captain as mentioned. Just because we do not enjoy it doesn't mean there isn't something to it. My brother down in SC got into trolling and hasn't brought in anything yet except junk fish. It's not some sort of guarantee that you troll some spoons and end up with big fish. I met a guy who just got into trolling mojos up here a year or two ago and has yet to catch a striper doing it. I've come to learn there is certainly something to it is all I am saying. Plus you have to upkeep the boat, invest in the equipment, learn to tie new rigs, etc.

No doubt it's effective.  But a little clarity to my blanket statement - sitting in a boat captained by someone else pulling mojos, shad umbrellas, etc. is not my idea of fishing.  Out there in a kayak trolling around to find fish and having to deal with all the elements is a different story. 

MOCO 

Dark dawn through sun up...

Peanuts on the beach, birds picking in the wash... and me dragging the skunk.

Moon looked like the Cheshire cat's smile before the sun came up.

20211103_061404.jpg

8 mins ago, daves745t said:

No doubt it's effective.  But a little clarity to my blanket statement - sitting in a boat captained by someone else pulling mojos, shad umbrellas, etc. is not my idea of fishing.  Out there in a kayak trolling around to find fish and having to deal with all the elements is a different story. 

Oh I understand. If you want to drink some beers and hang out it is good but otherwise boring lol