Sudsy

Fishing reports for November 2021

Rate this topic

1,391 posts in this topic

36 mins ago, EricDice said:

Many yaks are affordable. Just brought home our tandem kayak from SJ. Fishing the RB flats sounds appealing to me, eventually. Transporting that large heavy thing is another consideration and time investment entirely. I would also have to partition my plugs/gear into yak stuff versus surf stuff because I’m not losing my plug bag and the new Saragosa at the bottom of RB or the Atlantic Ocean. 

And then… night fishing the deep part of RB, the busy shipping channels and the open ocean, where the big fish seem like they’ve been lately, that’s an even greater concern / challenge. Cold immersion survival, lack of pedals (paddle powered only) launch/recovery emergency planning, safety gear & lighting, etc etc. Lots of prep before and stowing after. 

But most of all, given I fish alone at night 90%, I’m not expecting to be out in the current hot spots. That sounds dangerous to say the least. 

And the skiff is in the same boat, no pun intended, given the limitations. 

I've been working on my old 15+ foot SOT ocean kayak for the last few years. I had an unfortunate incident where I flipped and went in the water with my yak and my buddy who was a few feet away ( bastard laughed and almost died laughing) had to help me. Suffice to say, it was not a pleasant experience and I lost all my gear. I added outriggers on each side to help with stability and even bought a trolling motor (I know it needs to be registered). I also secure everything on board with ropes just in case and given my luck. But yeah, I haven't found it in me to lug all that gear for a fishing trip, maybe next year I will give it a shot. I also need to lose weight and get in shape, kayak fishing is not for everyone. 

I like mr bigdeals reports even though they rarely apply to me. And heck if you wanna spot burn the bay/out front boat scene have at it all day long..couldnt care less. Spot burn a shore based spot/region/country...and you'll hang for that sorta treason.

1 min ago, adoboboy said:

I've been working on my old 15+ foot SOT ocean kayak for the last few years. I had an unfortunate incident where I flipped and went in the water with my yak and my buddy who was a few feet away ( bastard laughed and almost died laughing) had to help me. Suffice to say, it was not a pleasant experience and I lost all my gear. I added outriggers on each side to help with stability and even bought a trolling motor (I know it needs to be registered). I also secure everything on board with ropes just in case and given my luck. But yeah, I haven't found it in me to lug all that gear for a fishing trip, maybe next year I will give it a shot. I also need to lose weight and get in shape, kayak fishing is not for everyone. 

Kayak fishing or dick sled riding as its known around here isnt all that its cracked up to be. 

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

I have no doubt that Mr. Bigdeals reports are accurate. I've been out on the boat and have had some great days. That being said, 90% of the guys on here are surf guys. Ya ever think maybe they don't want to hear it? haha. Think about it, your grinding away, making casts, going to different spots and it's skunk after skunk. Than somebody comes on and describes it as chaos, great fishing etc. Jealousy? Of course! When I hear it and im not in the thick of it i definitely got a case of fomo (fear of missing out.) But it's like the equivalent of a guy who grinds it at work daily, living paycheck to paycheck than his neighbor tells him he got a huge Christmas bonus this year. The guy really ain't in the mood to hear about it. 

Or a Guy Netting, or i mean trying to net a fish.. same concept.. 

50 mins ago, EricDice said:

Many yaks are affordable. Just brought home our tandem kayak from SJ. Fishing the RB flats sounds appealing to me, eventually. Transporting that large heavy thing is another consideration and time investment entirely. I would also have to partition my plugs/gear into yak stuff versus surf stuff because I’m not losing my plug bag and the new Saragosa at the bottom of RB or the Atlantic Ocean. 

And then… night fishing the deep part of RB, the busy shipping channels and the open ocean, where the big fish seem like they’ve been lately, that’s an even greater concern / challenge. Cold immersion survival, lack of pedals (paddle powered only) launch/recovery emergency planning, safety gear & lighting, etc etc. Lots of prep before and stowing after. 

But most of all, given I fish alone at night 90%, I’m not expecting to be out in the current hot spots. That sounds dangerous to say the least. 

And the skiff is in the same boat, no pun intended, given the limitations. 

It really isn’t all that terrifying and incredibly rewarding once you settle into kayak fishing, buy the right equipment and accessories (as light and minimalist as possible), learn where the spots are that produce fish consistently year after year (I never have to fish the “deep parts” of RB, for example) and get it down into a routine.  I was once a dedicated hardcore surfcaster so I’m familiar with that mentality. With all the BS that goes on land and jetty, and the decline of bass population close to shore, it made the transition to kayak fishing pretty easy, at least for me.  The freedom to get to more productive spots away from the beach but still difficult for boats to access and the general lack of mugging can’t be overstated.  And I fish at night 95% of the time, solo or with my crew. 

Just my .02

Edited by GeoffT

6 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Will you be providing guide service?

1 min ago, GeoffT said:

It really isn’t all that terrifying and incredibly rewarding once you settle into kayak fishing, buy the right equipment and accessories (as light and minimalist as possible), learn where the spots are that produce fish consistently year after year (I never have to fish the “deep parts” of RB, for example) and get it down into a routine.  I was once a dedicated hardcore surfcaster so I’m familiar with that mentality. With all the BS that goes on land and jetty, and the decline of bass population close to shore, it made the transition to kayak fishing pretty easy, at least for me.  The freedom to get to spots away from the beach but still difficult for boats to access and the general lack of mugging can’t be overstated.  

Just my .02

Well now I have the right motivation to use my yak. I will track down @GeoffT and muddy up his fishing spot next spring and bring him bad Juju! I already have a lead that said he/she might know where he fishes :hypocrite:. I do agree that yak fishing has a lot of benefits especially when trying to get into fish and avoid the crowds and it doesn't have to be deep waters at all.

2 mins ago, Goldy said:

Will you be providing guide service?

Sure! like I said, my guy said you need to wear a T-Rex costume as payment. Let me know, so I can post the location and time here. I can provide the costume as well. 

Just now, adoboboy said:

Sure! like I said, my guy said you need to wear a T-Rex costume as payment. Let me know, so I can post the location and time here. I can provide the costume as well. 

Awesome.. My son loves T-Rex

24 mins ago, Goldy said:

Lol!! This friggen guy. Those unfamiliar Goldy joined us on the boat...caught numerous beauts. But his hook fell out on a 30 plus pounder as I was nettin. Off she swam. If I go 1st, goldy will eulogize me with "he didn't know how to properly net." I wouldn't want it any other way. 

26 mins ago, Goldy said:

Lol!! This friggen guy. Those unfamiliar Goldy joined us on the boat...caught numerous beauts. But his hook fell out on a 30 plus pounder as I was nettin. Off she swam. If I go 1st, goldy will eulogize me with "he didn't know how to properly net." I wouldn't want it any other way. 

1 min ago, joefishnj21 said:

haha.. I don't boat fish.. All Lies

56 mins ago, BrianZ said:

For you, and your game. 

You came on here a few years ago asking tons of questions and got some good responses. 

From where i was sitting you could never put it together. got a boat hired a guide to learn and now your a pro. 

now you are wondering why everyone doesn't own some sort of vessel. lol. 

I prefer first hand reports but either way is fine. fish have tails and they swim. predicting where they will be is the name of the game regardless of what the reports say. 

You're wrong here and I won't get mad because lol no I stink at fishing and it's a miracle I did any sort of good this year. I happened to find some good spots fluking that produced every weekend for a while and we finally figured it out when I visited my brother and could consistently get into reds and trout. I'm still terrible at everything else. 

Despite the name of the site, I fish for fluke more than anything. That's definitely one of those things that is more enjoyable on a boat in my opinion and that's why when no one had a boat we would go rent a skiff and do it. I never caught a ton surf fishing for stripers you're correct. I couldn't ever really scout anything out since I'm not very local. I mean after going with this guy a few times up to RB I see what happens. You cruise around and find bait and find birds. The bite turns on and as quick as it does, it can turn back off and then you are back on the cruise. It's just more productive. And honestly, it's not my favorite kind of fishing and it never really will be. It's cold, it's sporadic, and there's other things I'd rather catch. But that's what's in so that's what I'll try for.

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Got to disagree with you here Joe. Knowing that there's a huge body of big fish in the area that mr. Big deal talks about gives me ideas of spots to fish in that area, I know of spots that area you can likely catch them from Shore as well. If nothing else at least knowing the fish are up there gives me confidence that they're still around and not far away. Far as I remember it's been awhile since we've had a body of big fish like this around in the fall.  And besides, I like to see pictures of all the big fish!:bigeyes: Better than the breaded shorts in the sand... Keep posting mr. Big deal.

I like that “breaded shorts in the sand”

We should write either a book, song or maybe a poem with that title.

Breaded Shorts in the Sand. 
I like it

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

Agree with Bikefish^^

Belated thank you to our veterans and their families. 

late report Weds night through Thursday morning -  first time ever to N Monmouth locations.

Fished hard out front. Cycled through everything that made sense and then a little bit of everything else from my bag. Rotated spots, walked miles, switched to the back briefly. Not a tap. Didn’t see another person the whole time in the dark which was surprising since I covered territory. Must’ve known things I did not - like that there were no fish in those spots. 

Sun came up and that was even more frustrating. The birds were carpet bombing in clusters all over the place but never in casting range. Moved around again while sun was up but still nothing. 

eventually just ran out of time. I had errands way down in CMC and then get back home to PA. Lots of driving & no sleep for no catching. 

Thats three sleepless nights fishing and then being a dad the next day (meaning no naps). Just one successful trip with still only two schoolies to show for it. I’m no noob and I’m covering lots of ground with excellent soft & hard structure. 

These are lean times. 

Yes they are, I average 4 trips a week. I’m close. I’ve been at this a long time. My amount of fish caught is 1/4 of what I was used to getting per season. Frustrating for sure.