coy886

Perfect Albie set up from shore

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

A luxe rod, perhaps the Weapon Jr. (?) that @Jim DE is very keen on, and a long-cast spinner with light braid and a fluorocarbon leader. Your payloads will be mostly metal, within a half ounce size on either side of one ounce.

Depends on what shore you're fishing from. I have two shore setups. One for the beach and one for the jetty. For the beach I use an ODM DNA back bay 7'6" with a Stradic 3000. I also use this setup for the boat. From the jetty I wanted something with a long reach, good back bone and wouldn't break the bank. I went with a Tsunami AWE 9'6" and a Penn spinfisher 4500. I looked at a lot of reels and that one is lightweight with a fast retrieve.

Edited by NMurray

Rod = Shimano Dialuna S100MH (10’0” rated to 2oz)

Reel = Shimano Vanquish C5000XG (6.2:1) w/20# Sufix 832

Combo weighs 14.5oz.
It throws 1-1.5oz far, very very FAR!

And has no problem with hard tails…

840157D0-FC2B-46FD-BD10-C5EEB3D23072.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

6 mins ago, NMurray said:

Depends on what shore you're fishing from. I have two shore setups. One for the beach and one for the jetty. For the beach I use an ODM DNA back bay 7'6" with a Stradic 3000. I also use this setup for the boat. From the jetty I wanted something with a long reach, good back bone and wouldn't break the bank. I went with a Tsunami AWE 9'6" and a Penn spinfisher 4500. I looked at a lot of reels and that one is lightweight with a fast retrieve.

Basically fishing the exact same setups 

Stradics are sweet but I found myself taking a lot of spray wet wading and releasing in beach surf

so I started  gravitating twds a less refined but cheaper and in my mind more durable Daiwa BG or Penn  

also multipurpose most of my setups so I don't really fish less than 30# braid 

With a balanced set up launching tins and the smaller reels, I was dumping a lot of the spool before lure even hit the water, so I ended up more in the 3500-4500 area depending on manufacturer 

Fishing 20lb main will probably address that - I just tend twds heavier main - easier to tie, less issues, more margin of error for me

Not in any way critiqueing your stuff, just sharing my own experiences for OP based on how I fish 

And where - RI sand and rocks

15 hours ago, coy886 said:

I’m looking to buy a reel and rod setup for targeting albies from shore. What would be your dream set up for this purpose?

8' St. Croix Avid.  Penn Slammer IV 4500.  End of discussion.

15 hours ago, coy886 said:

I’m looking to buy a reel and rod setup for targeting albies from shore. What would be your dream set up for this purpose?

l bought it back in 2006 Cabela's 10ft steelhead rod changed the stripper guide to a 40 paired it with there Diawa Prodigy 3500 reel 20lb PP line and is still in use today cast a mile no need to up grade complete outfit around $150.00 with line.  

Dream set up... ODM weapon with either a Stella or Certate LT

Actual set up... St Croix 8' Tidemaster with a Stradic FL 5000

Obviously cost is a factor, otherwise I'd be fishing the dream set up. :shrug:

My Stradic 5000fk and 9’ Lami work well. 
There is a new, 10’6” St Croix Seage out that I’d pair with a Stradic 5000 fl if I was looking for something new. 

00CA5657-26A9-4576-BD24-D245ABDEBBF2.jpeg

Edited by ridenfish

14 hours ago, NMurray said:

I have your exact jetty set up, the Tsunami AWE 9'6 with the spinfisher 4500 and its one of my favorites! great combo would def recommend 

2 hours ago, LB said:

steelhead rod

These work well also!!!

Rod = St Croix Legend Elite (9’0” rated to 2oz)

Reel = Shimano Stella C5000XG (6.2:1) w/20# Sufix 832

6741CA6C-9BB0-45C4-AFA9-C290EC32846A.jpeg