Any one get the Van Staal VR Series VR75

Rate this topic

nfnDrum

11 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

i figured that......that said, let me ask, have any complaints with it?

I haven't fished it yet. I can say it feels good, the gears are relatively smooth. Very little backlash in the gear. I have to say its better then what i was expecting. I wish the line lay was a little better but I may be able to tweak it by running off all the line and start the spool on the bottom.

Edited by nfnDrum

36 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

I haven't fished it yet. I can say it feels good, the gears are relatively smooth. Very little backlash in the gear. I have to say its better then what i was expecting. I wish the line lay was a little better but I may be able to tweak it by running off all the line and start the spool on the bottom.

:th:

Keep us posted as this is what i want to match a 9'6" Weapon that i'll be having made this winter.

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Saw it on a preview on YouTube.. There are models in the line that also got stronger spool shafts.  Apparently, i'm forgetting which ones...... :th:

Models 125-200 have new shafts. That is why the Gen2 spools will not work on Gen1 for the VR125-200. 

On 12/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, nfnDrum said:

I haven't fished it yet. it feels good, the gears are relatively smooth. Very little backlash in the gear.  Its better then what i was expecting. I wish the line lay was a little better but I may be able to tweak it by running off all the line and start the spool on the bottom.

I bought a 75 yesterday at the place one sits in southern Monmouth County.      Very nice guys, by the way, and lots of stuff at the shop.  Spooled it there with 20lb Yozuri braid and line on the spool was perfect.  Fished it this morning for 3 hours with one catch and line lay still looks good.  Nice reel, is smooth.

I recently received the new Vr75. 
First impressions was how light and compact  it is, not a large reel at all. I purchased to pair on my 7’ and 8’ back bay schoolie rod.

I’ve  fished it for about a week with fish up to 10lbs on it. It’s a very quiet, drag included. I was not a fan of drag until I landed some fish on it and seemed to have broken in a bit, even tho drag has more than enough settings it goes from 0 to tight rather quick but after some decent fish on it I’ve gotten use to it. I would not compare this to large sized VR models but confident it can handle larger fish here and there but not a reel I’d like to abuse while season is in full swing.

It’s still new to me but happy with it so far keeping in long what I purchased it for. 
Running 20lb Berkeley x9 braid on it for now and considering swapping that out for 30lb? Any thoughts on that ? 

Was spooled with about 400yrds of X9 due to the fact that it’s what I had leftover, for such a small spool it hold tons of line. 

No issue with line lay so far and casts great.

Will be re-spooling for 2022 season with 20lb braided equal or same diameter.  
As far as description of use for this reel it will be my go to inshore reel for lighter rods up to 9’ as I tend to fish on the lighter side and fish from back bays to boats and oceanfront. 
Will be a good addition to arsenal as I’ve ran through couple Penn and Daiwa reels in the past due to wear and tear.