Any one get the Van Staal VR Series VR75

Rate this topic

nfnDrum

Yes some guys are going to abuse it and out match it, but I wouldn't sell it short as a back bay reel. consumers get hung up on reel size for species X. Fish fighting comes from a smooth drag, proper gearing and having enough line to let the intended species run and tire against the drag. As long as the gear materials are solid and the body doesn't flex out and cause gear alignment issues the size of reel is irrelevant.  Allot of fish have been pulled in on PennZs 15# drag and relatively small 3.8:1 gears.

For me this reel could take the place of 2 reels possibly 3. It may not do each thing perfectly but it will consolidate gear, less is more. 

Edited by nfnDrum

14 hours ago, recoil said:

The VR75 is nothing more then a VR50 with a slightly larger spool offering more line capacity and more retrieve speed.

A steady diet of big fish is going to lead to bashing Van Staal  and the reel for not living up to unrealistic expectations.

It's a very nice strong small, lightweight schoolie/back bay reel.  Nothing more.

I would say this comes down what the main gear and spool shaft are made out of.........do we know what the upgrade in the second generation is made out of with these two components?

14 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

The VR 50 made short work on some big reds lately and I think with time it would wear out a 50 pound tuna just fine ……..how long it would last is a different story :)

The drag was a bit sketchy at first but seemed to wear in after a few big fish 

14ED3749-1F32-49D2-9C5E-B0A819582290.jpe
7831E2E3-3109-4BC1-BFE4-56CE5A05994B.jpe
672DAA46-4B7D-480C-B162-2FCE733D3D7D.jpe

AWESOME fish Joe..........tell me, first or second generation VR?

4 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Yes some guys are going to abuse it and out match it, but I wouldn't sell it short as a back bay reel. consumers get hung up on reel size for species X. Fish fighting comes from a smooth drag, proper gearing and having enough line to let the intended species run and tire against the drag. As long as the gear materials are solid and the body doesn't flex out and cause gear alignment issues the size of reel is irrelevant.  Allot of fish have been pulled in on PennZs 15# drag and relatively small 3.8:1 gears.

For me this reel could take the place of 2 reels possibly 3. It may not do each thing perfectly but it will consolidate gear, less is more. 

:clap: :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

AHHHHHHHH Its smaller then I was hoping it would be. I have it pictured between a Certate 3000 and 5000, The spool is just shy of 50mm. I am now at a loss on what to do. On paper Drags and retrieve are sufficient but what will the spool diameter do to the cast, and as line pays out how will drag and retrieve effect it. Can somebody just make a compact body in a surf spool diameter. Should fit a 7-8ft rod just fine but it may be out of place on a 9ftr. 

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by nfnDrum

48 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Its smaller then I had hoped. I have it pictured between a Certate 3000 and 5000, The spool is just shy of 50mm. You can see the 5000 Certate next to a Slammer III 4500 spool. I am now at a loss on what to do. On paper Drags and retrieve are sufficient but what will spool diameter to to the cast? And as line pays drag and retrieve will change.

The spool size is the same as my VS100 l just checked it not that l have VR75.