Any one get the Van Staal VR Series VR75

Rate this topic

nfnDrum

15 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Please get back to us with a review.......I'm eyeing this one up as opposed to the VR50 as i am going to need something on my 9'6" Weapon that i'm going to have built this year...... :th:

I only had a dozen or so schoolies on it this morning so couldn’t give it too thorough of a testing.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same body as the 50 with a larger rotor and spool.  The 50 I’ve landed schoolie bluefin on so I’m sure this thing will be on par with that. 

3 hours ago, bbfish said:

I only had a dozen or so schoolies on it this morning so couldn’t give it too thorough of a testing.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same body as the 50 with a larger rotor and spool.  The 50 I’ve landed schoolie bluefin on so I’m sure this thing will be on par with that. 

Is that the second generation 50 you have?  I hear the gears in the second gen models are much tougher?

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Is that the second generation 50 you have?  I hear the gears in the second gen models are much tougher?

I got it pretty soon after it was released so I’m guessing mine was 1st generation.  I don’t worry too much about a slight change in gear strength as I don’t crank against the drag. 

9 hours ago, bbfish said:

What rod did you put the 75 on.  Surf or boat?  

how big was the school in tuna you landed on the 50. I was worried about the 50 on a boat with the big girls around. 

9 hours ago, Goldy said:

What rod did you put the 75 on.  Surf or boat?  

how big was the school in tuna you landed on the 50. I was worried about the 50 on a boat with the big girls around. 

Yesterday I had it on a glass rod from the boat for schoolies.  The bluefin were small, like just keeper range 28ish".

The VR75 is nothing more then a VR50 with a slightly larger spool offering more line capacity and more retrieve speed.

A steady diet of big fish is going to lead to bashing Van Staal  and the reel for not living up to unrealistic expectations.

It's a very nice strong small, lightweight schoolie/back bay reel.  Nothing more.

Edited by recoil

The VR 50 made short work on some big reds lately and I think with time it would wear out a 50 pound tuna just fine ……..how long it would last is a different story :)

The drag was a bit sketchy at first but seemed to wear in after a few big fish 

14ED3749-1F32-49D2-9C5E-B0A819582290.jpe
7831E2E3-3109-4BC1-BFE4-56CE5A05994B.jpe
672DAA46-4B7D-480C-B162-2FCE733D3D7D.jpe

Edited by Joe Paranee