Jump to content

Any one get the Van Staal VR Series VR75

Rate this topic


nfnDrum

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Please get back to us with a review.......I'm eyeing this one up as opposed to the VR50 as i am going to need something on my 9'6" Weapon that i'm going to have built this year...... :th:

 

I only had a dozen or so schoolies on it this morning so couldn’t give it too thorough of a testing.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same body as the 50 with a larger rotor and spool.  The 50 I’ve landed schoolie bluefin on so I’m sure this thing will be on par with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bbfish said:

 

I only had a dozen or so schoolies on it this morning so couldn’t give it too thorough of a testing.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same body as the 50 with a larger rotor and spool.  The 50 I’ve landed schoolie bluefin on so I’m sure this thing will be on par with that. 

Is that the second generation 50 you have?  I hear the gears in the second gen models are much tougher?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Is that the second generation 50 you have?  I hear the gears in the second gen models are much tougher?

 

 


I got it pretty soon after it was released so I’m guessing mine was 1st generation.  I don’t worry too much about a slight change in gear strength as I don’t crank against the drag. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bbfish said:

 

I only had a dozen or so schoolies on it this morning so couldn’t give it too thorough of a testing.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same body as the 50 with a larger rotor and spool.  The 50 I’ve landed schoolie bluefin on so I’m sure this thing will be on par with that. 

What rod did you put the 75 on.  Surf or boat?  
 

how big was the school in tuna you landed on the 50. I was worried about the 50 on a boat with the big girls around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Goldy said:

What rod did you put the 75 on.  Surf or boat?  
 

how big was the school in tuna you landed on the 50. I was worried about the 50 on a boat with the big girls around. 

 

Yesterday I had it on a glass rod from the boat for schoolies.  The bluefin were small, like just keeper range 28ish".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The VR75 is nothing more then a VR50 with a slightly larger spool offering more line capacity and more retrieve speed.

A steady diet of big fish is going to lead to bashing Van Staal  and the reel for not living up to unrealistic expectations.

It's a very nice strong small, lightweight schoolie/back bay reel.  Nothing more.

Edited by recoil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The VR 50 made short work on some big reds lately and I think with time it would wear out a 50 pound tuna just fine ……..how long it would last is a different story :)

 

 

The drag was a bit sketchy at first but seemed to wear in after a few big fish 

 

14ED3749-1F32-49D2-9C5E-B0A819582290.jpe
7831E2E3-3109-4BC1-BFE4-56CE5A05994B.jpe
672DAA46-4B7D-480C-B162-2FCE733D3D7D.jpe

Edited by Joe Paranee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...