Any one get the Van Staal VR Series VR75

Rate this topic

nfnDrum

Just got a VR 75 2 weeks ago to mate up with a new Century Slingshot. Was looking to put together a super light combo for the beach. Love the setup but i did have problems with the bail sticking and some grinding after it getting sprayed in a blitz. Was able to fish with it but need to take it to Fish HQ for warranty service. kind of disappointed since i never had those issues with my VR150 that's seen much worse. Could of gotten a bad one which sucks for a +$500 reel!

Sand will do that with any reel. fine sand would just wash out. That's why l like MPU bail problems gone my VR150 & 175 have no bail.

Take the reel in the house and wash the reel under running water and work the bail, and look to see if the bail arm is cocked [riding more on one side], bail wire could be not set right that could be part of your problem when you get sand there.

Edited by LB

19 hours ago, 2porkchops said:

Just got a VR 75 2 weeks ago to mate up with a new Century Slingshot. Was looking to put together a super light combo for the beach. Love the setup but i did have problems with the bail sticking and some grinding after it getting sprayed in a blitz. Was able to fish with it but need to take it to Fish HQ for warranty service. kind of disappointed since i never had those issues with my VR150 that's seen much worse. Could of gotten a bad one which sucks for a +$500 reel!

If you're only surf fishing convert to bailless, one less thing to worry about in the sand...wish the 75 was available in a lefty, 50 I worry about spool depletion on a long cast, 75 I would have somme use for.

Edited by surfrat59
typo

On 12/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, surfrat59 said:

If you're only surf fishing convert to bailless, one less thing to worry about in the sand...wish the 75 was available in a lefty, 50 I worry about spool depletion on a long cast, 75 I would have somme use for.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, 2porkchops said:

I wanted to test the versatilty and durabilty of the VR75. Paired it with a 10'6" Slingshot. Boulder fields, open beach, swimfishing in tidal creeks. Dunked, abused, dropped on the rocks never cleaned beyond a saltwater rinse. Literally reeled in over a ton of striper flesh this season. The reel never missed a beat. Only problem: pay attention jerking a popper. With the smaller diameter spool, overworking the lure results in uneven pressure on the retrieve and  leaves sections of "fluffy" braid on the spool: wind knots are in your future.

But the weight savings of the vr75 compared to my VR150 more than compensated for any problem I encountered with the smaller reel. 

Edited by petespeak

Bailed or manual?

12 mins ago, petespeak said:

I wanted to test the versatilty and durabilty of the VR75. Paired it with a 10'6" Slingshot. Boulder fields, open beach, swimfishing in tidal creeks. Dunked, abused, dropped on the rocks never cleaned beyond a saltwater rinse. Literally reeled in over a ton of striper flesh this season. The reel never missed a beat. Only problem: pay attention jerking a popper. With the smaller diameter spool, overworking the lure results in uneven pressure on the retrieve and  leaves sections of "fluffy" braid on the spool: wind knots are in your future.

Bailed or manual?

20 mins ago, 2porkchops said:

Bailed or manual?

Bailed or manual?

Bailed...I put all the bails back on my surf reels and just unclog the roller bearing when needed. Surf fishing since 1967 and never snapped a line when a bail closed unexpectedly. I followed common wisdom and removed the bail for years until I figured out a few years ago actuallyI prefer a bail. But I'm old and do what I want these days: added perk for old guys: nobody cares how you do things anymore and young people stop asking stupid questions. And I get a pass no matter what I say. The older you get the more invisible you become until you just fade away completely. But to make up for this, there is that senior discount thing that comes out of nowhere like its your birthday.

Edited by petespeak

I too have never had a bail close unexpectedly on any of the 3 VRs I fish. I constantly use my rods for wading staffs, so they are under water a lot. The issue with them is not a weak bail, or bail at all but the line rollers.  Keep vigilant in clearing and oiling them rollers, and keep a couple spare roller assemblies on your box.

All of mine are the latest generations, and so far I had to send in the 125 for a AR clutch replacement- they warranted it. Upon inspection at the end of this season none had signs of water intrusion. The one I use most, VR175 seems to take the most rash on the bail arm.  I do get taken down by surf on occasion on the beach and on the rocks and it looks like this bail arm location and my right knee are the landing points consistently.  

Overall I am pretty happy with what i get out of them.