horsefly

Trolling motor

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Question for anyone using Minn Kota motors. I want to replace my trolling motor on my 16' alum. boat. Been looking at the PowerDrive with the foot pedal, as opposed to going with a remote control. Boat is used in lakes and rivers so I do not need anything really fancy but coming off a bow mounted hand controlled motor, which is a real pain, I was wondering what guys prefer. The remote does give freedom to move around the boat, but the foot pedal has a long wire that can be placed anywhere. Any opinions. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I originally had the old style foot pedal and hated it. Went with the bow tiller and it was OK for quite a few years. Now that I am old I am back to hating bending over to control the tiller. I think either the new style foot controls or the remote will be easier. This way I can sit my fat butt down while steering, if I want.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it depend on style of fishing,if you troling in big wind the motor can not handle that for long time,you kill baterie,best for troling is9.9 gas kiker but you can steer with bow mount on low speed the baterie will last all day.if you droping anchor then you buy motor with spot lock,that is you anchor.buy remote and cable control 60" shaft 36 V,,80 to 112 lb trust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I originally had the old style foot pedal and hated it. Went with the bow tiller and it was OK for quite a few years. Now that I am old I am back to hating bending over to control the tiller. I think either the new style foot controls or the remote will be easier. This way I can sit my fat butt down while steering, if I want.  

Agree..the old pedal was horrible..the newer low profile is much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys that use trollers in the everglades only use a spot lock and remote.  They cruise the mangroves with GPS and do it all day, frankly its almost like cheating.  LOL  I don't do that kind of work in the everglades anymore,but I use a manual bow mounted troller for my boats in NE and FL.

The new technology is great as long as it works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrova with spot lock and jog is the ticket for me 

 

fishing airboats and jets on rivers 

 

those two features are worth the price of admission for me 

Edited by Joe Paranee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the north east fishing tidal rivers………I bought a MotorGuide Xi3 with the spot lock for my 16 foot aluminum. It’s the only feature I use now. Just get where I want to be and lock. Take a few casts……if nothings happening I hit the jog button twice and it moves me 10 feet in the direction I picked. It’s great for holding on a spot and covering ground without having to keep fiddling with controls. I will never go back…..total game changer. If you fish with lures you will get more casts in where it counts. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up going with the Terrova with Spot Lock and remote, and all the other toys it comes with.  A local MK dealer said that based on where I fished and where I planned to fish it would work out the best. Now I have to wait out the winter to install it. Thanks for all the advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I’m in the north east fishing tidal rivers………I bought a MotorGuide Xi3 with the spot lock for my 16 foot aluminum. It’s the only feature I use now. Just get where I want to be and lock. Take a few casts……if nothings happening I hit the jog button twice and it moves me 10 feet in the direction I picked. It’s great for holding on a spot and covering ground without having to keep fiddling with controls. I will never go back…..total game changer. If you fish with lures you will get more casts in where it counts. 

You using a 12 v system.  I want to get this for my 16ft tinny

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

You using a 12 v system.  I want to get this for my 16ft tinny

 

 

Yes…..single 12 volt. The boat loaded (including the 12v AGM) is around 850 lbs without people. I have the 55lb troller……it’s enough. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.