Scusset State Beach

Rate this topic

MikeFlyGuy

Drove to Scusset last night to go fishing and the gate was closed. (Was not a short drive.)

I assume it's because of the storm but for all I know maybe their parking policy has changed for

the off-season. The phone number for the park is just a recording about camping reservations.

Thought I'd pass this on in case someone else was planning on a night trip there. 

I remember they closed the gate for Irene. I was hoping to fish the east end spots during the overnight blow but had to go to mid canal. I remember had a good night with a PB bluefish.

But nowadays they may have the gate closed more often -possibly in the off season.

There was a thread here a while back about some dip ****s dumping an old couch by the fish pier lot…

7 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

I remember they closed the gate for Irene. I was hoping to fish the east end spots during the overnight blow but had to go to mid canal. I remember had a good night with a PB bluefish.

But nowadays they may have the gate closed more often -possibly in the off season.

There was a thread here a while back about some dip ****s dumping an old couch by the fish pier lot…

The east end was loaded with Bluefish the night after things calmed down from Hurricane Bob. They don't waste time after a storm.

2 hours ago, slacktide said:

I was told today when I tried to get in that, Scusset will be closed for the next two weeks.

Stopped there again tonight before I saw your post. This time different gates were closed so you couldn't even park at the pier and walk in. Bummer, my favorite time of year to fish there. Thanks for posting. 

Id love to know the reason. Of course youll never get that out of the dcr. If i was still fishing there, id probably contact the park manager and ask. My guess is id get the usual "understaffed" reply. My response: whats to staff at this time of year ? 

Pfantum Pfishah

11 hours ago, slacktide said:

I was told today when I tried to get in that, Scusset will be closed for the next two weeks.

10 hours ago, foxfai said:

What was the reason?

I'll bet someone threw a couple coffee cups and a soda can in the lot. They probably have to have an investigation, photographs, and arrange for a clean up crew.   

The Sultan of Sluggo

I talked to two staff members while they were kicking us out last night. The first one told me they were understaffed and the order came from ACOE. He said if we complained to F&W they would most likely  hive us access to the fish pier parking lot at least. The second staff member told me it was due to kids being rowdy at night and some major construction project going on in the next couple of weeks so they did not want our cars to get in the way of the construction vehicles. He said it would be like that til the end of the season.

58 mins ago, Deniz said:

and some major construction project going on in the next couple of weeks so they did not want our cars to get in the way of the construction vehicles. He said it would be like that til the end of the season.

Hmm,

DCR+major construction project=major price hikes and restrictions for 2022? 

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 11/1/2021 at 2:23 PM, FishermanTim said:

Wonder whose wet dream project are they Pushing thru, and where is the funding coming from?

Maybe they're building a gender-neutral non-binary bath house that can only be used if you can prove your identity with a special ID?

Yes they are putting in the new toilets the ones you dont sit at or stand at you kind of go halfway to piss !