dreyko

Best TFO for casting weight into wind?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

So it looks like I have settled on a 10wt as my next rod, I like Tfo rods and am looking primarily at their offerings. 

I am very much open to older used rods.

So my goal for this rod is to use it when the wind gets too strong for my 8wt ticr. I mostly fish Clousers on floating and intermediate line in the outer banks.

Which of these would be best for dealing with wind and heavy flies?

Ticr, Ticrx, Mangrove, Bvk, Axiom, or Clouser? Open to others but I believe that's the best list for my application. 

Currently leaning to either the mangrove or the axiom, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Probably for pure distance and power - 10wt TiCr or TiCrx.  These rods are not available new.  The Mangrove is softer and meant for shorter, more accurate shots.  The Axiom and Axiom 2 are improved in terms of feel over the TiCr and TiCrx, but if you are already used to the 8wt TiCr, I don't think you would have a problem with the 10wt version.  There is also a relatively cheap TFO option that really hucks line and handles monster flies.  It's the 10wt TFO TFR (2 piece).  Before you spend a ton of money or time searching for an older TiCr 10wt, I'd suggest test casting the 10wt TFR.  Raw power for larger flies in wind, at a very reasonable price.  You'd have to be o.k. with a two piece rod.  For local waters shouldn't be an issue.  My 2 cents only...

Add the Axiom 2X to your list - I have it in 7wt and use it for casting clousers on intermediate lines and it's perfect for that mission.   It's lighter than the TICR ( I have the TICR in 6,7,8 wts) and closer in feel to the old Redington CPS.  Probably not my first choice for close-in shots, but great for most everything else.  According to TFO, the rod's action is based on the old TICR-X.  

I have the Axiom, Axiom II-X, and the TICR in 10 wt. The TICR is the most powerful of the three. In a headwind, or

when casting really large flies, it can handle the job better than the Axioms. But in most conditions and normal 

fly sizes,  the two Axioms outcast the TICR for distance by a noticeable amount. Don't know about accuracy. The

TICR handles a wider range of line weights. I've cast ridiculously heavy sinking lines with it, 100's of grains more than
a 10wt is supposed to. The two Axioms can't do that as they really start to over flex in the lower part of the blank.

If the Axiom 2X is closer to the Redington CPS than the TiCr or other rods mentioned, then I probably should look at one, as I really like the CPS.  On the other hand I wouldn't pick the CPS or any rod like it for, e.g., throwing super large flies in a headwind.  That application calls for something more powerful, and there is hardly any rod that I would say is more powerful than the TiCr/TiCrx in a similar weight class. A possible exception might be the Redington Predator series of rods.  As the OP already knows that they like the TFO rods, and in particular, indicates they own and like the TiCr 8wt, to me it is not going too far out on a limb to suggest the TiCr in 10wt.  The action is similar to the 8wt, and the rod has more power for throwing larger flies in the headwind conditions that the OP describes.  A 10wt TiCr(or TiCrx) will also feel more like another rod maker's 11/12wt in terms of actual weight and swing weight, so the OP should also look for a 9wt TiCr, IMO, which is really a 10wt+.

The OP specifically mentioned they favor TFO rods over other brands.  That's the reason I also recommended they test cast (not buy untested) the TFO TFR (only comes in 8wt, 10wt).  The TFO TFR action is a bit slower than the TiCr and TiCrx, but the rod's power exceeds that of the TiCr.  With a larger fly, in a headwind, my expectation is that a 10wt TFR would possibly (I'm not certain, as it depends on the caster as Drew correctly points out) outperform even the TiCr 10wt.  For flats use with smaller to mid-sized flies, the TiCr or (probably) Axiom 2X would be the better choice, IMO. 

Two advantages of the TFR over the TiCR - cost and current availability.  Disadvantage - 2 piece vs. 4. The TFR is a fabulous deal if you only intend to fish it locally.   My comments are based on personally owning a TiCrx, TiCr, and TFR in comparable weights.  My pick for larger flies in wind would be the TFR.   I do not own the A2X but will test cast one soon to compare myself. 

Edited by Killiefish

Sad news, I was out fishing yesterday in a 25mph wind (it was a 3 hour ride and there was a blitz on so I geared up anyway) in my effort to battle the wind my 8wt ticr had a section work loose and it cracked on a cast before I noticed.

Shame, i love that rod, im going to have my friend that used to build rods look at it.

In anycase, I decided I don't want to be outgunned again,  so I ordered a 10wt Tfo Esox. Its supposed to be good for big flies into the wind and should serve as a general large game rod for me. Now I need to find another Ticr 8wt, that rod fit me so well.

WAIT, DON'T MESS WITH IT,  TFO will warrantee it, send it in plus the're quick.  While waiting look for a TiCr-X  9wt. its a cannon, maybe eBay.

Dreyko, if your trying to get distance in a 25 mph wind it’s going to be tough with any fly rod. I think it can still be very effective in catching fish even with that wind but your casting distance probably won’t be that different between the 8 wt and 10 wt. 

I used my Scott meridian 8wt all year with 20-25 mph winds. It sucked but if you get your timing right you’ll be fine. I was using a 300 grain airflo saltwater sink 7. The thinner line and heavier head really made a big difference. I think that TFO esox will be a great rod for you but experiment a bit with lines and see what works for you.  

TFO is out of TICR sections for the  9ft 10wt and 12ft 12wt rods from personal experience. So unfortunately they may also be out of sections for the TICR 8wt. If so, they will offer another model in exchange, but it will probably cost more than the $35.00 normal warranty cost. It's not a true lifetime warranty program. 

On 10/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, dreyko said:

Sad news, I was out fishing yesterday in a 25mph wind (it was a 3 hour ride and there was a blitz on so I geared up anyway) in my effort to battle the wind my 8wt ticr had a section work loose and it cracked on a cast before I noticed.

That's why I love my 1pc rods for heavy work, one less thing to think about in the heat of battle! Call TFO about a replacement section or an upgrade, the cost will be reasonable.

7 hours ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

TFO is out of TICR sections for the  9ft 10wt and 12ft 12wt rods from personal experience. So unfortunately they may also be out of sections for the TICR 8wt. If so, they will offer another model in exchange, but it will probably cost more than the $35.00 normal warranty cost. It's not a true lifetime warranty program. 

Yea, I am sure that they are out for this rod; its a Lefty Kreh instructors rod, Ticr bright yellow.

I would be gutted to lose the rod. I asked them if my rod builder could repair the section and still maintain the warranty. 

If I have to swap it out it looks like the axiom 2 is the closest rod in terms of speed. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:08 PM, dreyko said:

So it looks like I have settled on a 10wt as my next rod, I like Tfo rods and am looking primarily at their offerings. 

I am very much open to older used rods.

So my goal for this rod is to use it when the wind gets too strong for my 8wt ticr. I mostly fish Clousers on floating and intermediate line in the outer banks.

Which of these would be best for dealing with wind and heavy flies?

Ticr, Ticrx, Mangrove, Bvk, Axiom, or Clouser? Open to others but I believe that's the best list for my application. 

Currently leaning to either the mangrove or the axiom, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

i have cheep solution for you.if you reed that you may think i am ****ing with you,no everything work perfect.

get yourself lite  carp rod 12' and 2.5 lb action.

do not modify rod just put fly reel on that and cast in field 5 days,first it look wierd but after 1 week casting you come up on teiste and you will like that.in meather you can use any light weight spining rod,i think the suzuky will work perfect.

the man think you have to get 750 grai shooting head and you can use any fly line,40# mono line or braid.the shooting head do the work for you.

i cast with left hand 90' and with right hand120' wind has no efect on me,you cast like 2handed fly rod,much easier casting then fly rod.

with heavy fly you rol cast forvard to lift fly off water,one time back and 1 time deliver the fly to destance..

i come up to this solution with acident,i was waiting for parts to strip the rod and make 2 handed fly  rod,while i was weiting for parts i was casting 1 week and i decided it work perfect as is,i did not modify that and i never will.it work much beter this way.