Florida flats and guides

Rate this topic

Fergal

10 hours ago, ifsteve said:

Nothing wrong with Bun N Mary's but I would suggest starting with Florida Keys Outfitters in Islamorada and The Angling Company in Key West. They are fly shops and have a better handle on the fly fishing game than Bud N Mary's which offers everything under the sun.

I second this, Florida Keys outfitters and the angling company cater more to technical and advanced saltwater fly fishing you could also look into the angler house marina.

9 hours ago, Kml said:

Does it have to be Florida?

My next trip is South Andros outside the US. Nothing planned yet.

I had a great trout trip out west this year I am sure a repeat of that will be on the schedule for next fall.

Yes, just looking at Florida for this year. I’m going ‘somewhere’ in 2023.  

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

14 hours ago, Hook I said:

What I’m saying is if you stay at B&M you can make it over water 

But again that has nothing to do with Bud N Mary's. Its in Islamorada. Any skiff can run the back protected way to the waters around Flamingo. Yes you can do that from Bud N Mary's but to those who don't know the Keys you make it sound like Bud N Mary's has some unique way to get to the backcountry and that is just not true.

59 mins ago, ifsteve said:

But again that has nothing to do with Bud N Mary's. Its in Islamorada. Any skiff can run the back protected way to the waters around Flamingo. Yes you can do that from Bud N Mary's but to those who don't know the Keys you make it sound like Bud N Mary's has some unique way to get to the backcountry and that is just not true.

I don’t know what B&M says about it , all I know is when winds is up or out front you got to get to the back to fish . Just going by what we did = it worked that sound right ? 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

17 hours ago, Kml said:

Does it have to be Florida?

My next trip is South Andros outside the US. Nothing planned yet.

I had a great trout trip out west this year I am sure a repeat of that will be on the schedule for next fall.

Second this. But tarpon and permit are 50/50, depending on when you go. Bones will be plentiful. That’s Congo Town airport in my avi.

Edited by phishallways

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

Have lived and fished Islamorada for 50 yrs. Get online now and google where you will be, when, type fishing and read all their reports. As above said , be open minded, weather is ever changing. Most “Good”guides know where to go to avoid the wind, bad water and able to position you. Bud and Mary’s has long been a stand up marina, but their list of top guides get hidden for certain customers, Depending on who is scheduling bookings sometimes you will hear their all good/ not true. The keys are full of newbie guides, ask questions. Google Guides assoc . And look for names  recommended. They are many guides who book their times do not use a marina but trailer to what’s hot, or out of weather or too much pressure. So if your looking for the “Flats trio” Search bonefish , permit and tarpon and take notice of time of year,The bonefish tends not be in the same area as permit and tarpon The Slam is doable in day with a good guide, Listen, don’t brag, but be specific. :rav:

I third the Florida Keys Outfitters.  They work with all the top guides in the area.  I'm not going to name names but I can tell you that with the popularity of shows like Silver Kings etc a ton of part time guides set up shop every spring in the Keys to cash in on the tarpon migration.  IMHO they are not worth the money they charge, not by a long shot.  I know some of the better guides in the Keys and they'll tell you the same.  Names I would recommend if you want to try (but unfortunately most of these guys fish the tournaments so May timeframe they are booking a lot of pre-fishing days for the tournaments) would include Rob Fordyce, Brewer, Brian Helms, Lincoln Rodriguez, and Paul Tejera.

5 hours ago, formula1 said:

I third the Florida Keys Outfitters.  They work with all the top guides in the area.  I'm not going to name names but I can tell you that with the popularity of shows like Silver Kings etc a ton of part time guides set up shop every spring in the Keys to cash in on the tarpon migration.  IMHO they are not worth the money they charge, not by a long shot.  I know some of the better guides in the Keys and they'll tell you the same.  Names I would recommend if you want to try (but unfortunately most of these guys fish the tournaments so May timeframe they are booking a lot of pre-fishing days for the tournaments) would include Rob Fordyce, Brewer, Brian Helms, Lincoln Rodriguez, and Paul Tejera.

What the man says.

17 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Thanks again guys. I realize that it's not so simple to set this up. I also know I'm getting a later start than is ideal.

It’s not difficult, Nothing worse than having no options. April-June is prime tarpon season and you subject of getting blown off, or not guide a worth your time and money. Now, if you want permit and bonefish, August-Nov is the best in the upper keys, You also are out of the wind problems and success on those fish are easily achieved by fly rod or spinning. By all means go to the Lorelei restaurant and world wide sportsman / Bass pro, :rav: