af15e

Top 5 Trolling Lures

25 posts in this topic

Took the plunge! Yak is being rigged as I type, super excited for a whole new style of fishing! (and no longer being bound to the same 10 ft of shoreline)

Very excited to troll, wondering what your Top Five Lures for Trolling and/or any trolling tips for a newbie like me; I have some assumptions but you know what happens as you assume.

Lower CT river mouth area! Thanks all!

Hey, welcome! Great question. I'd have to say SPs (white, yellow, mackerel) Bombers (schoolbus chicken track or dark silver) and white 5" storm shads are 95% of what I troll. Tins will work but sink to the bottom fast and snag crap if you stop.  I've recently found schoolies love a 4" lipless swimmer (darter?)  in a mackerel pattern.

Man, I don't think I trolled all season. It may be 5 years or longer since I last trolled. :laugh:

I do jig with rubber though. You can troll rubber. Maybe you may make your own creation this off season and catch. That's what some of us do here. Quite successfully too. Pour for pennies and recycle. 

Good suggestions so far.. 

At night,, I have had good success trolling live eels very slowing through the rocks with a bait runner reel set in feed mode.  Make sure to have a circle hook. 

I have also hooked several large trolling a A40 or Junior metal lip at night while moving between casting spots.

Tube n worm is probably your top choice but gets boring for me.

Tips while trolling...  try to follow structure contours to present you offering into the feed zone.  Make frequent turns which, speeds up and slows down you lure.  Vary your speed and if using a pedal drive impart twitches and slack to create an erratic action.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Man, I don't think I trolled all season. It may be 5 years or longer since I last trolled. :laugh:

Your Mass rock gardens are a different fishery than the flat sandy or muddy bottoms we have south of LI sound. Even EliasV, who jigs rubber a lot and sells his own designs, would do a lot of trolling around here when he lived in NYC.

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

Your Mass rock gardens are a different fishery than the flat sandy or muddy bottoms we have south of LI sound. Even EliasV, who jigs rubber a lot and sells his own designs, would do a lot of trolling around here when he lived in NYC.

I was able to find Bass and Weakfish jigging rubber in Jamaica Bay. I didn't see rocks there. You still had em in on the flats. I spend lots of time fishing beach front troughs with no rocks. Find the suck outs, find the bass. No rocks there either. So that about thrashes your theory on you need rocks. You do not need to troll to get bass. 

X-Rap, Mojos have been a good choice until I tried tube & worm...that was a game changer for me... now when I troll 2 rods I have tube on both ...one weighted and one not...and I have never used a real worm only plastic ones

On 10/29/2021 at 10:11 AM, computeruser said:

X-Rap, Mojos have been a good choice until I tried tube & worm...that was a game changer for me... now when I troll 2 rods I have tube on both ...one weighted and one not...and I have never used a real worm only plastic ones

What do you like for plastic worms?

Tsunami sand eel - great for trolling in LI Sound, especially since you (or at least I) can't cast that thing. It seems to catch strippers when nothing else will (although the blues destroy it).