dannyplug1

FLORO VS MONO FOR SURF LEADERS

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Making up some surf leaders for casting plugs.  Specifically wondering if its a bad idea to use flouro for a leader while working a surface lure like a little neck popper or a pencil popper.  The flouro has better abrasion but it sinks.  just wondering

14 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

Making up some surf leaders for casting plugs.  Specifically wondering if its a bad idea to use flouro for a leader while working a surface lure like a little neck popper or a pencil popper.  The flouro has better abrasion but it sinks.  just wondering

I use Mono for any surface lure. The flouro pulls the nose of the plug down and it's harder to work the plug. just my experience. 

Mono is WAY more abrasion resistant than fluoro, only reason people experience fluoro ‘getting more bites’ is that it’s thinner in diameter for the same rated breaking strength. Couple experiments out there showing light pink tinted line is the hardest to see, both mono or fluoro. Stretch is a non issue since you’re using it for leader. The only positive fluoro is that it sinks a bit faster than mono. 

I was sucked into the fluoro worm hole for a while and switched to mono 3 years back, never looked back. We fish SW Florida and get large snook off the beach mid day in 2 feet of water glass flat on 80lb mono

You can keep using flouro if you like, just gives me the advantage with monofilament.  

Flouro has more stretch, less strength and abrasion resistance. There's objective testing and evidence to show this. It's not really any less visible than monofilament, color tinting makes a much bigger difference to visibility than line material does. 

31 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Mono is WAY more abrasion resistant than fluoro, only reason people experience fluoro ‘getting more bites’ is that it’s thinner in diameter for the same rated breaking strength. Couple experiments out there showing light pink tinted line is the hardest to see, both mono or fluoro. Stretch is a non issue since you’re using it for leader. The only positive fluoro is that it sinks a bit faster than mono. 

I was sucked into the fluoro worm hole for a while and switched to mono 3 years back, never looked back. We fish SW Florida and get large snook off the beach mid day in 2 feet of water glass flat on 80lb mono

I’m with you.  I don’t actually see any difference except for the price 

I was in the tackle business when fluorocarbon was introduced. It was heavily promoted and widely touted as a must have for leaders. It reminded me of the children’s story “The Emperors New Clothes”. The manufacturers said it’s invisible, we all can see it but still believed that fish couldn’t see it. 
Personally I couldn’t tell if fish could see it or not, but it was less abrasion resistant than mono. When asked for a recommendation for leader material, I said clear Ande. 

Save the money and use Ande Back Country blue. Up here in Boston the bass Don't care and its way cheaper and abrasion resistant than nylon and flouro. A roll will last you years. 

I have two bulk spools left from spooling up reels 60 and 80 pound test in Jinkai smoke blue. Never needed to use anything else.

I think Fluro is a waste of money, especially in NJ. Use it if you prefer. Only hurting your wallet   

I use 50# mono for my leader.  Usually 4-5 ft. Depending on the length of the rod.  If fish were smart enough to tell the difference in such a short length, no fish would ever get caught. OMO.