UncleJohn

Help identify unknown fish

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went to a popular inlet last week and I saw a diver walking off the beach with 2 fish in a stringer.   One of them was a Black Sea Bass but he didn't know what the other one was.   I have fished NJ all my life and I never saw this fish before.   Anybody know what kind of fish it is 

IMG_7880.JPG

Edited by UncleJohn

The thick rays on the face is very distinct. I really don't know what that is, looks like some sort of seabream, grunt, or snapper but I can't find anything that looks exactly like that. Is it possibly just a jumbo pinfish ? I know it doesn't look anything like a normal pinfish but saw this picture of a record one and you can see how dark it is: 

dieselgrady is correct, should be a Bermuda chub. 

Edited by JerseyJeb

I'm going to go with Bermuda Chub. Didn't know they came this far north. They surround chum bags while fishing for snapper in the Keys, fight like hell and then squirt fish poo on you as a thank you for releasing them. Never ate one, but may try this winter.

7 mins ago, dieselgrady said:

I'm going to go with Bermuda Chub. Didn't know they came this far north. They surround chum bags while fishing for snapper in the Keys, fight like hell and then squirt fish poo on you as a thank you for releasing them. Never ate one, but may try this winter.

Definitely has the right body for a chub.  

The vertical bars are throwing me off but I can’t tell if that’s from the scales being rubbed or not.

Edited by bbfish

50 mins ago, giacommin said:

Slippery Dick

Lol I caught some slippery dicks in Florida last year and those looked like eels or something, not this thing. Or I was being trolled and it wasn't a slippery dick who knows

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

The vertical bars are throwing me off but I can’t tell if that’s from the scales being rubbed or not.

Yeah it is a Bermuda chub. The discoloration on the side is just some post mortem stuff. 

45 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Lol I caught some slippery dicks in Florida last year and those looked like eels or something, not this thing. Or I was being trolled and it wasn't a slippery dick who knows

A slippery dick is a wrasse (and a colorful one at that).The wrasse's people are most familiar with in the northeast are the tautog and bergall / cunner.

Edited by JerseyJeb

1 hour ago, JerseyJeb said:

Yeah it is a Bermuda chub. The discoloration on the side is just some post mortem stuff. 

A slippery dick is a wrasse (and a colorful one at that).The wrasse's people are most familiar with in the northeast are the tautog and bergall / cunner.

They said the thing in this pic was a slippery dick which is what I caught and these people also refer to it. What is it actually?

slipper.jpg

2 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

I looked up Bermuda Chub and I think that you are right.      Never seen one before 

2 hours ago, bbfish said:

The Picture is not good quality, but the scales were not rubbed off.   I think that sometimes some parts of a fish just lighten or darken after the fish dies...

14 mins ago, dieselgrady said:

How can you not like a fish called "Slippery Dick"?   That blonde is holding a Sand Tile (I think) But I would not bet my  Slippery Dick on it!

LOL I think you are right. We ate it, it was good. Felt weird. Cook came out and said "whatcha bring me?" Blackfin tuna and uhhhh what I'm told is a couple of slippery dicks but ya know I'm not sure!

9 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

Why is the guy with the speargun shooting fish that he has no clue what it is? 

They pretty much shoot anything that moves. Short tog, short bsb, above slot size bass, tarpon...etc.

5 hours ago, adams54 said:

They pretty much shoot anything that moves. Short tog, short bsb, above slot size bass, tarpon...etc.

Yes they do. Saw a guy at SI shoot a bass and I asked him how long it was. 37.75" he tells me. He measured it on the 36" tape that are stuck to the rails. Amazing he was able to estimate so accurately under water. It was more like 40. Also saw a guy shoot a big bass then go back shoot another for his buddy.