ghost

Any recent reports, how is the weather?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Arrive on the 30th for three weeks, staying in Avon. The site has been quiet, although Red Drum seems to be reporting a good mix of action.

How has the weather been?

It's been in the upper 60's low 70's, partly cloudy, with spots of sun.

At night it's been running in the upper 50's.

The wind has been blowing in the low 20's, and the water temp is running 68 - 70 degrees.

There have been quite a few days of red flags / high rips lately...but all can change in the blink of an eye!

10/29/21 10:42 AM. The wind is gusty but not the 30mph they called for. 10 oz will NOT hold on north beach. Water color is not too bad so if it lays down thing should pick up.. 

7 hours ago, ghost said:

Thanks, I arrive Saturday and should be fishing by Sunday

Check red drum or Frisco rod and gun weather and reports. Pretty accurate as to what’s going on.

Thanks, Arrived Sat and woke to a beautiful Sunday. Walked beach along Avon this morning and fishing appears to be slow according to the fisherman all along the beach. Still a great place to be. 

Last week there were pompano in the first trough up by Oregon Inlet I wish I had spent more time on. Might be the ticket down in Avon today and tomorrow before the wind changes

Spent all day casting over their heads with nothing to show but a big old ray. 20 minutes before time to go I tossed some shrimp on a pomp rig out to the first bar and drug it back to me ... caught 1 cast again caught another but then had to leave.

Was sunny and warm just after high tide 2 oz held easy

Throwing 6 and 7 oz today in late morning and not even close to holding, but just before dark it looked great so that tomorrows targets early and just before dark, We will see.

Did get to try my new reel a Akios Nitron and it was great.

Starting my 3rd week and I have experienced the poorest fishing ever and I spend two weeks in the spring and three weeks in the fall each year. Wind has been an issue both leading up to the storm and for a few days after.

I always stay at Avon and this year the beach profile is flat and so is the fishing. Buxton has been better but very crowded, especially near the point. I did get a nice 25 inch slot drum near ramp 43 and a few mullet.

The sound has yielded some small trout and very small reds.

Plan to fish hard the final days here, so I will keep you posted. Still a beautiful place to be.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ramp 43 is where I landed my 24 incher 25 minutes after high tide Friday afternoon. Due to the Noreaster Sat Sun Mon and the strong North to South current that ran most of the week it was my equivalent of shooting at the Buzzer ....and scoring. We left the Island first thing yesterday morning. Looked like it was going to be a nice fall day...albeit increasing west winds.

20211112_142359.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

Nice fish 

I got mine on Friday 11/12 around noon. On at 43 to the left away from the mob at the point. Took cut mullet. Also lots of very small puffers and snappers (small bluefish), how they were getting on the hook amazes me.

I mightve seen you...I was getting on the beach at 43 around 11:30 am. Did you have a buncha guys around you when you landed that fish?

Fished Ocracoke from Tuesday night till Friday morning. Started off fast and furious with 5 pups on the 1st session with snapper blues in the mix. And Wednesday evening picked up another 4 with more blues in the mix before my buddy joined me just in time to see the SpaceX rocket drop its booster and then disappear into space. Went back out in the early am on Thursday and my buddy got his 1st pup of the trip. And then that was it for the rest of the trip. Did manage a nice sea mullet and a 19in flounder along  with more blues. We were basically fishing night time outgoing tides. But did fish 1 incoming tide. Was really torn on this trip between fishing Ocracoke or Portsmouth. Probably should have fished Portsmouth. 

20211110_025101.jpg

20211110_165651.jpg

20211110_190921.jpg