BrianBM

Radar reflectors for kayaks?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

A question provoked by comments in the Funnyfish thread.  If a prudent yak angler flies a high-viz flag, why not a bright shiny reflector too? 

95% of inshore boats don’t have radars or know how to turn them on/operate them.

For me, I don’t do out in the dark, and if it’s foggy enough or there’s fog rolling in I’ll stay on the beach.  

I know there are plenty of guys that kayak in the dark.  I’m sure they have a light and keep their head on a swivel.  If they fish at night they can see/hear boats from a long ways away.  

I think a better question is: If a boat is going so fast that they can’t avoid a kayak, then are they traveling at a safe speed?

3 mins ago, Fitzy said:

I think a better question is: If a boat is going so fast that they can’t avoid a kayak, then are they traveling at a safe speed?

If you are traveling in a car, boat, bike etc (you get the idea) and you spot an object whether by sight/radar/sound that you can avoid, then you are traveling at a safe speed. 

This topic has come up so many times. Personally, I just wouldn’t operate a kayak in areas of high boat traffic. Who’s supposed to do this or watch out for that doesn’t amount to much if someone gets run down. Too many boats bomb around, completely disregarding rules and not paying attention. Seems like a dangerous game. 

18 hours ago, Fitzy said:

95% of inshore boats don’t have radars or know how to turn them on/operate them.

For me, I don’t do out in the dark, and if it’s foggy enough or there’s fog rolling in I’ll stay on the beach.  

I know there are plenty of guys that kayak in the dark.  I’m sure they have a light and keep their head on a swivel.  If they fish at night they can see/hear boats from a long ways away.  

I'll throw the BS flag on that assertion. Even the 16 footers in my marina have radar. Its hard to find a boat in the marina that doesn't have radar.

Just now, MakoMike said:

I'll throw the BS flag on that assertion. Even the 16 footers in my marina have radar. Its hard to find a boat in the marina that doesn't have radar.

16 footers with a radar???

No t-top no radar.  And just because it’s on the boat doesn’t mean they know how to use it.

2 mins ago, Fitzy said:

16 footers with a radar???

No t-top no radar.  And just because it’s on the boat doesn’t mean they know how to use it.

T-tops abound. Anyone who has radar and doesn't know how to use it is an idiot and spendthrift.

13 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Anyone who has radar and doesn't know how to use it is an idiot and spendthrift.

It's 2021.

Marinas are packed with idiots and spendthrifts.

20 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I know there are plenty of guys that kayak in the dark.  I’m sure they have a light and keep their head on a swivel.  

There was a thread about how guys in both kayaks and boats refuse to use the legally required white masthead light so people don't see them 'on their spot'. Seemed idiotic. I have a light on a pole with an orange flag over it, the lit up flag stands out from the background lights in the highly populated areas I fish.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

A 16 footer with a t-top and radar? Does such a boat even exist?

55 mins ago, z-man said:

Apparently Mike’s marina is filled with them.  They even keep them tied up in slips.

56 mins ago, z-man said:

I’ve seen slightly larger boats (maybe 20-foot or so) like Parkers or Jones Brothers with just an aluminum arch that holds the radar, but it sure as hell isn’t common.