Pauleye

What to wear for Fall fishing?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I need better October/November wear for fishing from a boat, especially long sleeve shirts and pants.  What do you wear or recommend?

You should try and pair whatever outfit you pick with a nice pair of heels that extra 5-6” of height gives you the leverage you need to land the big bass

42 mins ago, carznfish said:

You should try and pair whatever outfit you pick with a nice pair of heels that extra 5-6” of height gives you the leverage you need to land the big bass

I already wear stilettos. Is there anything from Huk or Aftco that is breathable but insulating. Maybe is easy to clean fish blood stains, water repellant.

Obviously, no help on this topic. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1. Avoid cotton. Once it soaks up some sweat or gets wet it will actually make you colder.

2. Wool/fleece layers. How many depends on the temp.

3. Shell/bib to cut the wind and keep you dry. Breathable is more comfortable, but there is a better chance of it failing in heavy rain or if you take some heavy waves. Blood/bait/etc. will also soak into breathable layers. I generally use a pvc coated bib (not breathable) and a breathable shell. If I expect it to rain most of the trip, I’ll use a non-breathable top since nothing breathes well when it’s soaking wet anyway.

4. Liner socks-wool socks-rubber boots.

Edited by C.Robin

I can still remember being wet and uncomfortable on the drive home after fall fishing and washing the boat. I got a a pair of Grundens  and never looked back. Blocked the wind and kept me clean, just hose them off and put away.The wind blocking also reduces the layers you need to stay comfortable.  My buddies had them the next year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Definitely a grundens style bib and deck boots. Thermal under armor then sweatpants. If I over heat taking off the winter hat usually fixes it fast. You might feel weird if you never wore a bib before but you will fit in on the boat it won’t be weird 

Edited by BobBass

2 hours ago, BobBass said:

Definitely a grundens style bib and deck boots. Thermal under armor then sweatpants. If I over heat taking off the winter hat usually fixes it fast. You might feel weird if you never wore a bib before but you will fit in on the boat it won’t be weird 

Its definitely not a look thing. I would think that you overheat with Grunden's over layers.  I'll give it a try.

18 hours ago, C.Robin said:

1. Avoid cotton. Once it soaks up some sweat or gets wet it will actually make you colder.

2. Wool/fleece layers. How many depends on the temp.

3. Shell/bib to cut the wind and keep you dry. Breathable is more comfortable, but there is a better chance of it failing in heavy rain or if you take some heavy waves. Blood/bait/etc. will also soak into breathable layers. I generally use a pvc coated bib (not breathable) and a breathable shell. If I expect it to rain most of the trip, I’ll use a non-breathable top since nothing breathes well when it’s soaking wet anyway.

4. Liner socks-wool socks-rubber boots.

Thanks.  Very helpful.  I have older Cabela's Guidewear bibs but fish schmegma gets em real stinky and the velcro at the edge of every flap seems to catch everything from braided line to rags.  When its real cold out there when black fishing in November I have my performance layers on but I short circuited it with jeans and a cotton long sleeve t-shirt. You reach into the water a few times and your arms are wet all trip. 

Take a look at sailing foulies. Opens up some options for you. I got some breathable Gils on sale for $50 and they've been very tough and dry.