MaxKatt

New Perspective on Seals (Historically they were here)

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I'd like to see a lot more data on historical populations before I called for a cull.  If seals really are above their pre-fur trade levels(I doubt it) then why is that?  What factors are inhibiting the sharks from keeping them in check?  I think that the issue is less that there are too many seals and more that we are competing with what seals there are over an increasingly scarce resource which we are mismanaging.

7 hours ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

People have had enough.  I know guys who keep a gun on their boat to dispatch seals that follow them out to sea.  Guys on Nantucket take care of business after hours up at Great Point.  Some nights you'd swear it's a shooting range up there!

They're not doing a very good job. I was up at Great Point on Sunday, and I couldn't get a fish to the beach.  I eventually brought in some of the biggest albie heads I've ever seen.  Some of those fish had to be well over 10 pounds. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I'd like to see a lot more data on historical populations before I called for a cull.  If seals really are above their pre-fur trade levels(I doubt it) then why is that?  What factors are inhibiting the sharks from keeping them in check?  I think that the issue is less that there are too many seals and more that we are competing with what seals there are over an increasingly scarce resource which we are mismanaging.

I don't have the willpower to search for it, but I remember reading an article about the number of seals that were killed over a century, and it wasn't significantly more than 100k, I think. After that, there were almost none left. Over a century! We have a lot more than 50k now.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, Lou T said:

Rod got bashed by the animal lovers for sporting that jacket

Why bash him for the jacket, when there are so many other truly good reasons..!!!!.... Ooooops.. 

1 hour ago, Dustyn said:

I'd love to harvest a seal every  couple years to feed my family. Just saying.

I'd want to know what they taste like before making that statement.  Could be like eating a furry merganser.  Or worse.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, Lou T said:

Could make a lot of boots, jackets, and hats with all those seals.. :D

l had a pair of boots made from seal hide when l was up in Alaska in 1964 great boots l would buy a pair now for the winter and use them when it snow even us them for hunting light weight and comfortable.

F753BDB4-5999-40F7-8440-8425F769AB36.jpeg

Put a ban on shark fishing for a while and see what happens they where here in great members at one time doing there thing like eating seals.

Edited by LB

34 mins ago, LB said:

l had a pair of boots made from seal hide when l was up in Alaska in 1964 great boots l would buy a pair now for the winter and use them when it snow even us them for hunting light weight and comfortable.

F753BDB4-5999-40F7-8440-8425F769AB36.jpeg

Who long did they last?

There not that cheep, but if there that good why not. I like the way there built with a wool lining.

Dose the Seal skin breath?

We need a bunch of entrepreneur Eskimos to set up a boot and sealskin clothing manufacturing company in the US.

The price will go way down....  :D

ss3.png.fa7687daf0696d23eb8d933702132e27.png

ss.png.1085717c0e2832fbc0178f4e43ceb955.png

ss2.png.c12e06b53f664d7b2f03fdb9621092db.png

Where is picture from in NY l grow up in Brooklyn NY and long lsland this picture is not ringing a bell and these are NY police.

Baby seal washes ashore on Brighton Beach - New York Daily News

Hay buddy got a Tums l just down a 10lb bass.