viper2788

FB marketplace scam??

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

This guy is selling a brand new saltiga BJ 4000 and states he prefers a trade with a daiwa certate. I instantly messaged him at first but started to realized this is too good to be true. When I asked him why he won’t just quickly sell the saltiga for a lower price and buy a new certate, he says they’re hard to come by and in low supply. Amazon and eBay listings say otherwise. When I checked his FB profile he just joined this year with no actual photos of himself or other info pertaining to his identity.

Just throwing this out there if anyone comes across the same listing. Would hate to see people get scammed.

A775AC2A-06DC-4E0C-B574-C7CC012ED281.png

AB7E7CF0-9B83-4725-986A-D072ACF1881A.png

I’m leery of FB marketplace, but haven’t had an issue yet. That includes buying a Stradic FL 5k in absolute mint condition shipped for $170 where I was nervous but went perfectly. 

That said, there are definitely counterfeit & fake items galore. I would never buy sunglasses and even high end reels seem like fodder for knock offs if you see some of the Alibaba copies out nowadays. 

I’ve seen a whole lotta scams before. That doesn’t exactly look too scammyish honestly.

Was he offering to ship it to you, or do a trade by one person ships, another then ships?

I mean it’s Facebook market place. Isn’t that like Craigslist, where it’s pulling local sellers:buyers who live within X amount of distance from each other to have transactions IN person?

Who’s getting scammed meeting face to face for a transaction? Unless they end up getting mugged, which is why online in person transactions should be done with caution. 

I sold my bow and every “bow” thing I had on CL. Guy never asked a single question other than “where to meet”. Made me a little nervous to say the least. Come to find out, he worked 3 blocks from my office and knew exactly what he wanted. Never even took the bow out of the case, handed me cash and that was that. 

So sometimes even if it smells fishy, it’s not. 

The no photo or lack of history are sellers i avoid. That being said if its a good deal, Ill insist on having some sort of recourse - insisting on PP GS and me picking up the fee if needed. Otherwise meet up in public place for transaction.

It looks like his profile is private which is why you are not seeing anything on it.  I suspect if you were "friends" with him you'd be able to view his content.  If he were selling I would say scam for sure, but he is trading.  If he asks you to ship in a trade then I wouldn't do that without a photo of the reel with a card and today's date with your name on it.  That's how it's done in a lot of groups.  If he's looking for a meeting in person then it's def not a scam, of course.

I went on a guided trip in Florida with my two brothers for peacock bass about 5 years ago.  It was a last minute thing on the cheap (Spirit Airlines) so I didn't bring any of my own gear.  We got to the boat and each picked out a rod/reel combo.  I saw a rod with a shimano stella and grabbed it.  The guide took notice and said he just got a fantastic deal on a couple online - I think he said ebay.  Bottom line is that there is no way that reel was authentic.  Visually it looked pretty spot on, but once I started using it, there was all kinds of play in the bail, handle, spool.  The tolerances were just nothing close to what a real Stella would be.   If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

If the person can meet up with the item great. If you have a seller looking for gift cards mail or cash sent via uber? Chances are you are going to get ripped off. These are common sense scenarios and its actually worked to con a few people I know. 

Another is buying a reel on a deal overseas. When the product is other, its a fortune to mail it back. That's how they win. 

Some people just genuinely cant be bothered if it makes their life easier. I bought a practically brand new Avid surf recently for 100 bucks because the guy broke the top section and didnt feel like dealing with the customer service to warranty. 10 minutes on hold and $25 later there was a brand new top section on its way to my door... 

Just like CL, if they ask if your the original owner, if it’s still available, or if they mention a certified check-RUN away

Guy did ask if I was local (which I'm not) but we would have had to settle for shipping. I just couldnt get my head around the fact he's willing to trade a $800 reel for a $440ish reel. And the "low supply" comment ended the deal for me. Any one of us could get a brand new certate 5000 within a few days easily. My guess is that I'd be given a fake (or a brick) in exchange for the certate. Scammers can get pretty crafty

15 hours ago, daves745t said:

I went on a guided trip in Florida with my two brothers for peacock bass about 5 years ago.  It was a last minute thing on the cheap (Spirit Airlines) so I didn't bring any of my own gear.  We got to the boat and each picked out a rod/reel combo.  I saw a rod with a shimano stella and grabbed it.  The guide took notice and said he just got a fantastic deal on a couple online - I think he said ebay.  Bottom line is that there is no way that reel was authentic.  Visually it looked pretty spot on, but once I started using it, there was all kinds of play in the bail, handle, spool.  The tolerances were just nothing close to what a real Stella would be.   If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the kinda scam I would avoid. For low to mid price stuff, I can justify some of the risk. 

The only way I’m buying a high end anything used is if I really trust the guy and that’s not happening on FB. 

Always beware of Craigslist wanting to know where you live and phone number. Lots of stolen tackle over last 2 yrs, Most new being sold cheap on any venue that works .EBay doesn’t stop fake or hot merchandise. Boaters rod lockers are being broken into. A scam here are guys coming on pier and eyeing tackle , after a little fishing they pick up rods out of rod holders, snip line at reel and walk away. So quick. They work in 3’s with 2 vehicles, Flea markets and yard sales quick turnover. 2 yrs ago I had a tackle bag swiped with a pair of Gerber monogrammed tournament prize. Bokeelia police took pics, found bag and tackle at a Matalacha community tag sale, no Gerbers:rav: