Flukeduke

9' surf rod recommendations

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking for a 9' rod to use in the surf for calmer days throwing plugs and light soft plastics in the 5/8- 2oz range. I like the moderate action with a nice whip to the last 2/3 or so of the rod. Something that will be less fatiguing to my back as opposed to the heavier action of my MH lamiglas.   Btw met a guy on the beach using a 9' Lami Ron Arra  and that thing looked sweet. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted (edited) · Report post

sounds like the Tsunami airwave elite 9'6 would be perfect, it's my favorite rod and use it for exactly what you described.  I also have the 8'8 version and that would be equally as good

Edited by Abe Froman

I really think the airwave 8’8” is as nice of a light surf stick you could ask for. They work very well with smaller reels like the boca/cabo platform for instance. 

I'll have to check out that airwave elite again.  I had the 11' version and that broke the 1st night I used it. So that left a bad taste on the tsunami for me. 

Okuma Rockaway - Medium light. I have a 11ft - cheap and light. (tops out at 2oz)

Okuma Rockaway SP - Medium. 8ft 6 -  weighs 4.4oz - cheap and very light (tops out at 1oz lures)

ODM DNA 935 with a Stradic 5000. Can’t compare to other 9’ rods since I haven’t tried many of them but man, that combo is super light and fun to fish. That rod really comes alive with a light reel like the Stradic. 

Lamiglas GSB 1081L. I just love the action and bend on that rod. The ODM genesis is also a nice rod. If you’re a high class baller, CTS vaportrail (best distance rod on the planet) or Century Stealth

Another vote for tsunami airwave elite.  I got two 9'6" ones.  Asking for a 8'8" lighter model too.  Throw tins out into outerspace with them.  Great on surf weight jigs.  I do throw up to 3 oz jigs in the inlet with them too from time to time.  2 pieces, but a 70/30 split.  Price went up a bit, still worth it though.

Not sure what your budget is or how you feel about one piece rods but if you’re okay with spending $500+ on a rod I’d look at the 9’ odm evolution. Absolutely love mine, in my opinion it does everything you’re asking in your post. It’s light with a nice moderate action but has lots of power. If you don’t want to be in the price range then I’d definitely look at the airwave elite and dna in person to see which you like best they’re both good rods.