Mr. Bigdeal

Best of the Best...42 yrs. later.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

IGFA

It’s been 42 years since Canadian angler Ken Fraser set the IGFA All-Tackle World Record for bluefin tuna with this behemoth that tipped the scales at an incredible 1,496 pounds. Fraser was fishing Auld’s Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada aboard the “Lady & Misty”. Fraser, an experienced tuna fisherman, needed only an hour to land the record tuna after it ate the rigged mackerel he was trolling. Congratulations to Ken Fraser on an incredible catch that has stood the test of time!

tunarecord.1.jpg

Don't think that record will ever be broken, not because the fish aren't there, but because the sport fishermen have disappeared.

The rules in the best spots up in Canada don't allow fights that exceed an hour, and very few bluefin can be killed by anglers; it's really a commercial fishery with recreational assist, fishing on tight quotas.

And far too many fishermen here in the states have been watching Wicked Tuna too long and don't even bother to take the rod out of the holder during the fight.  They also use line heavier than 130, both of which would disqualify a potential record fish.

5 hours ago, CWitek said:

..........don't even bother to take the rod out of the holder during the fight...........

Well what kind of fun is that?

Isn't the whole point of "fighting" the fish to actually feel the pull and fight the fish?

16 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Well what kind of fun is that?

Isn't the whole point of "fighting" the fish to actually feel the pull and fight the fish?

I always thought so., but a fair fight seems to be going out of style.

My fishing club just disqualified a number of fish in our annual contest because the fisherman was spotted on social media cranking on the fish with the rod still in the holder.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, CWitek said:

Don't think that record will ever be broken, not because the fish aren't there, but because the sport fishermen have disappeared.

The rules in the best spots up in Canada don't allow fights that exceed an hour, and very few bluefin can be killed by anglers; it's really a commercial fishery with recreational assist, fishing on tight quotas.

And far too many fishermen here in the states have been watching Wicked Tuna too long and don't even bother to take the rod out of the holder during the fight.  They also use line heavier than 130, both of which would disqualify a potential record fish.

I'm 99% sure this guy was in a fighting chair for this fish. 

Edited by canalsharpie

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

I'm 99% sure this guy was in a fighting chair for this fish. 

The guy with the record, yes.

I was talking about the way "sport fishermen" tend to fish today.

Edited by CWitek

I caught one that was just shy of 800lbs almost 40 years ago and there's no way in hell I'm fighting a fish like that in stand up gear. It's like trying to reel in a tug boat. Sport is one thing, but animals that can kill you fall into another category. Being dragged into Davey Jones locker isn't all that appealing to me. If you can do it in stand up gear, God bless ya. All it takes is one second of lost concentration or reel malfunction, wrong drag adjustment and you're done. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the sporting aspect, but it has to be tempered with common sense and safety.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:32 PM, ReeferRob said:

I caught one that was just shy of 800lbs almost 40 years ago and there's no way in hell I'm fighting a fish like that in stand up gear. It's like trying to reel in a tug boat. Sport is one thing, but animals that can kill you fall into another category. Being dragged into Davey Jones locker isn't all that appealing to me. If you can do it in stand up gear, God bless ya. All it takes is one second of lost concentration or reel malfunction, wrong drag adjustment and you're done. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the sporting aspect, but it has to be tempered with common sense and safety.

Those fish do generally require a chair.  

But there's a big difference between fishing from a chair and bucket harness and never taking the rod out of the holder, and letting the boat do the work.