bhorsley

Harkers Island -update

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Over the season so far has been rocking.  Water temps still in the mid 70s has not hurt a thing.  Too much south or southwest/west wind has been the issue.  A few big fish have started to show.  Found some big albies mixed in with small albies sipping some kind of tiny clear bait.  We call it crack bait. A commercial fisherman who live baits for king mackerel called me last night to give me his report on old rum and albies.  He told me yesterday he caught two albies on live bait from 25 to 28 pounds.  He said they would pulled a same sized blackfin backwards. 

I had one of my anglers yesterday land a 35.5" to the fork albie.  The fish was skinny and probably 20 to 21 pounds.  Great catch on a Sage Maverick 9 wt paired up with a Seigler SF reel and 16 pound tippet.  I caught one last year the same length but was fat that was close to 25 pounds.

The fly was a fly I tie that is a deconstructed Albie Hore.  We call it the Sex Worker.  I don't have the time to tie a complete Albie Hore--my version has caught a lot of fish.  So far I tie them on #4 and #2 AHREX Minnow hooks 

BDH_7869-Edit.jpg

BDH_7825.jpg

BDH_7969.jpg

BDH_7791.jpg

IMG_9590.jpeg

IMG_9862.jpeg

Always love the after Northeast show you guys put on down there.  

Hope you guys smoke the 'Buffalos!  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

Thanks for showing the flies.

Is fouling an issue with your simplified albiewhore?  Caster dependent perhaps?

I try and use very stiff hackle and this reduces fouling.  I also have hot glue to stiffen the base.  Sol Rez Bone Dry or their super thin is perfect but I can not use it as I have sensitivity to the fumes.  Some casters have trouble with it fouling.  The photo of the fly is from this summer.  

I am now using a Whiting Whole Cape for the hackle--nice and stiff.  The fly is very effective so I will deal with occasional fouling. I have noticed after the fly gets eaten 4 or 5 times the tail tends to foul a little more.  They are so quick to tie I just put another fly on.  This fly I tied yesterday as we are weathered out for a few days  

IMG_0755.jpeg

Edited by bhorsley

The Whiting feathers of the shoulder / wing are more stiff . My guess you don’t have to get the “Fly” down much for Albies because the Hackle floats more with stiffness ? 

1 min ago, Hook I said:

The Whiting feathers of the shoulder / wing are more stiff . My guess you don’t have to get the “Fly” down much for Albies because the Hackle floats more with stiffness ? 

my goal every year is to throw unweighted flies all season.  On occasion I will throw Clouser's.  We use RIO OBS Intermediate lines 99% of the time.  Most of the takes are just under the surface --I love watching the eats 

1 hour ago, bhorsley said:

my goal every year is to throw unweighted flies all season.  On occasion I will throw Clouser's.  We use RIO OBS Intermediate lines 99% of the time.  Most of the takes are just under the surface --I love watching the eats 

When I target Bonito on the Florida Gulf I’m using a similar unweighted fly some call them “Cuban Anchovy” with the same single flash on each side . And the head of yours is my favorite like a large cactus chenille palmer .   

In your clear plastic bag the top fly = that amber color is like the Anchovy , it’s a jaw opener ! 

15 mins ago, Hook I said:

When I target Bonito on the Florida Gulf I’m using a similar unweighted fly some call them “Cuban Anchovy” with the same single flash on each side . And the head of yours is my favorite like a large cactus chenille palmer .   

In your clear plastic bag the top fly = that amber color is like the Anchovy , it’s a jaw opener ! 

yep. tan one is a bay anchovie color .  Like is said I don't tie them much anymore due my stupid sensitivity to SOL REZ.  SOl Rez makes those flies so quick and bay to tie.  SOL REZ fumes will cause my skin to peel on my eye lids and face.   

21 mins ago, bhorsley said:

yep. tan one is a bay anchovie color .  Like is said I don't tie them much anymore due my stupid sensitivity to SOL REZ.  SOl Rez makes those flies so quick and bay to tie.  SOL REZ fumes will cause my skin to peel on my eye lids and face.   

I have a similar reaction to some of that stuff. Fwiw, gulff is better but I still react if I touch it. 

40 mins ago, bhorsley said:

That’s not good . I have to get back to you on that . 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:40 AM, bhorsley said:

Getting back , I was told by a Sol Rezrep. try holding the torch a little more away from your normal distance & more ventilation would help , seems folks have different torches with different strength , so try a little more distance away then gradually get a little closer by not cooking the Rez. hope that helps , its not uncommon & he mentioned the names that I was familiar with , as from my zoom meeting this evening 

Can you have a shot for them from the beach? I will be down from pa in a week to work for a few days in Durham would like to get a line wet when I'm done my project

8 hours ago, onthefly said:

Can you have a shot for them from the beach? I will be down from pa in a week to work for a few days in Durham would like to get a line wet when I'm done my project

last years was the best beach action I have seen in 25 yrs.  This year not so much.  The point at the HOOK has changed and left a shallow bar out from it at least 100 yards  Earlier in October there a few caught from the beach --but nothing like last year