Stripernut1

Afternoon Trip to the Conn. River

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Could not make it away for a day of fishing this weekend, but was able to get away for a few hours yesterday and ran out to the Connecticut River. The water was at a very fishable level. It was just me, the fish, and a great blue heron (looking for handouts). The tally came to a number of big chubs, a bunch of smallmouth, and 2 keeper-size walleye. Dropped a few fish and had an (I believe) pike try to eat one of my smallmouth at my feet... No luck tossing any of the bigger pike lures I had with me and was sad to donate a big inlines spinner to the rocks on the bottom... But that is fishing! The sun went down and so did the temperature and I did not get any hits in the dark.
TWicZeGl.jpg

Growing up in Claremont NH, I used to get big smallies and a few walleye from my dad's Grumman canoe on that river. I haven't fished up there since my mother died in 2013.

On 10/25/2021 at 0:15 PM, Stripernut1 said:

Could not make it away for a day of fishing this weekend, but was able to get away for a few hours yesterday and ran out to the Connecticut River. The water was at a very fishable level. It was just me, the fish, and a great blue heron (looking for handouts). The tally came to a number of big chubs, a bunch of smallmouth, and 2 keeper-size walleye. Dropped a few fish and had an (I believe) pike try to eat one of my smallmouth at my feet... No luck tossing any of the bigger pike lures I had with me and was sad to donate a big inlines spinner to the rocks on the bottom... But that is fishing! The sun went down and so did the temperature and I did not get any hits in the dark.
TWicZeGl.jpg

Was this north of paper city or south of it?

14 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Have you been getting down there?

Barely at all. Between uncooperative weather and too many obligations fishing has taken a distant back seat for me this year. 

18 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Very sad...

Okay, I made it sound bleak but the real issue is that I can’t stop playing disc golf.

Still sad but my own doing :beatin:

Okay, I made it sound bleak but the real issue is that I can’t stop playing disc golf.

Still sad but my own doing

I love a good game of Ultimate (been a very long time), but disc golf is not for me... I work on accurately tossing something with each cast I make and the reward (most days) is much greater than having a disc land in a basket. But to each his own...