JET

New Ideas for Pulled Pork Leftovers

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I smoke a TON of pork shoulders.  Separate into family-size portions, vacuum seal and stuff into the chest freezer.  It's a great way to have quick and easy meat portions on hand for a very busy and hungry family with three kids.

BUT, I'm starting to get a little stale on things to do with it, and need some fresh ideas.

Highest and best use is a simple sandwich - pork, sautéed onions, pickles and mayo (or your choice BBQ sauce) on a cheap hamburger roll.

In a hash with fried potatoes, onions, is a weekend breakfast staple.

Vaguely Asian style brothy noodle soups are excellent.

Hearty stews / shepherds' pie / meat and potatoes dishes.

As the meat in anything vaguely tex-mex (tacos, burritos, nachos).

Pizza I should do more.

Not hits in my house:

Italian style / tomato based pasta sauce.  Much rather do a ground sausage or rib ragu.  For some reason the BBQ textures don't work in pasta sauce.  Need that low braise I guess.

Mac and cheese.  Whether made from 'scratch' or dumped in the Kraft, my kids don't like the combo of texture, or just don't like me messing with the M&C

Anyway, who's got some new ideas for me?

I've made these a few time and they were a hit. I got this from chili pepper madness

Pork Street Tacos Recipe with Crispy Fried Habaneros

The best street tacos with the juiciest smoked pulled pork served on warmed corn tortillas, topped with onion, cilantro, and crispy fried habanero peppers. Here is the recipe.

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keyword: habanero, spicy, tacos

Servings: 10 tacos

Calories: 190kcal

Author: Mike Hultquist

Ingredients

• 1.25 pounds prepared pulled pork
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon ancho powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 10 corn tortillas or use 20 if you’d like to serve doubled tortillas
  • 1 medium white onion diced
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Don Chilio® fried habanero peppers
  • Hot sauce of choice and sliced limes for serving

Instructions

• Heat a pan to medium heat and add the olive oil.
  • Add the shredded pork, along with your ancho powder, garlic powder, cumin and a bit of salt. You can also use your favorite taco seasoning blend. Give it a nice stir to incorporate the seasonings.
  • Let the pork fry lightly a few minutes, until it becomes slightly crispy on the bottom. Remove it from the heat.
  • Warm some corn tortillas either in a hot pan with a touch of oil, or directly over flames for a nice char.
  • Serve the seasoned pulled pork over the tortillas, then top them with diced onion, cilantro, and Don Chilio® crispy fried habanero peppers, or use the fried serranos or fried jalapenos, whichever you prefer!
  • Serve them along with your favorite hot sauce.

Notes

Makes 10 tacos.

Heat Factor: Medium-Hot. You'll get some good kick from Don Chilio's habaneros! Use their serranos or jalapenos for a milder, yet still delicious, flavor.

Nutrition

Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 342mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.1mg

47 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

I've made these a few time and they were a hit. I got this from chili pepper madness

Pork Street Tacos Recipe with Crispy Fried Habaneros

The best street tacos with the juiciest smoked pulled pork served on warmed corn tortillas, topped with onion, cilantro, and crispy fried habanero peppers. Here is the recipe.

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keyword: habanero, spicy, tacos

Servings: 10 tacos

Calories: 190kcal

Author: Mike Hultquist

Ingredients

• 1.25 pounds prepared pulled pork
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon ancho powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 10 corn tortillas or use 20 if you’d like to serve doubled tortillas
  • 1 medium white onion diced
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Don Chilio® fried habanero peppers
  • Hot sauce of choice and sliced limes for serving

Instructions

• Heat a pan to medium heat and add the olive oil.
  • Add the shredded pork, along with your ancho powder, garlic powder, cumin and a bit of salt. You can also use your favorite taco seasoning blend. Give it a nice stir to incorporate the seasonings.
  • Let the pork fry lightly a few minutes, until it becomes slightly crispy on the bottom. Remove it from the heat.
  • Warm some corn tortillas either in a hot pan with a touch of oil, or directly over flames for a nice char.
  • Serve the seasoned pulled pork over the tortillas, then top them with diced onion, cilantro, and Don Chilio® crispy fried habanero peppers, or use the fried serranos or fried jalapenos, whichever you prefer!
  • Serve them along with your favorite hot sauce.

Notes

Makes 10 tacos.

Heat Factor: Medium-Hot. You'll get some good kick from Don Chilio's habaneros! Use their serranos or jalapenos for a milder, yet still delicious, flavor.

Nutrition

Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 342mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.1mg

This sounds good... The Don Chilio product looks interesting...

Butch

along the same vein as Biscuit's suggestion - Quesadilla.

I also will do a cuban sandwich with my pulled pork similar to your simple sandwich, I make my pulled pork slow roasted in the oven though.

All the above are good ideas and tasty too. However, the root of the issue appears to be that

you went hog wild with the amount of pork that was smoked and want to make sure it gets eaten. I agree with that as well. How about having a big party and serving it, or package it and give it frozen as gifts at holiday time. I once had a family member that really liked my bbq pork, so for their birthday I made, shredded and sauced it, then vacuum sealed it in a bunch of bags and froze it. I shipped it in a special cardboard box, with some dry ice. It was a big

unexpected hit. Admittedly going to that length was expensive, but gifting it frozen to more nearby friends and family is not. Just a thought.:howdy:

You mentioned you have three kids, and what kid (or adult for that matter) doesn’t like mac and cheese? Top it with pulled pork. 
Many restaurants serve it, and they charge an arm and a leg. 

You want to fancy it up, make smoked Gouda mac and cheese to put it on. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/smoked-macaroni-and-cheese.amp.html