Tom Angler

Smelt!

23 posts in this topic

Going to try for smelt this year from kayak. Will target in MA.

probably in a few weeks. Anyone want to go?

Night fishing. cold. Dry suit and warm gear.

IMHO...find a pier and ditch the yak.

Could be a whole bunch easier.

Now if you can't find the access ....have at it.

Good luck and be safe either way.

I love smelt.  

I don't think yakking in 40 something degree water at night in winter is best option here. I imagine you have a lack of access if this is the case. I know you will be dressed for it best you can but that time a year help is a lot longer out than now.

4 hours ago, Joser said:

I don't think yakking in 40 something degree water at night in winter is best option here. I imagine you have a lack of access if this is the case. I know you will be dressed for it best you can but that time a year help is a lot longer out than now.

yeah, probably correct. will be looking for shore/pier.

No smelts down here that I've ever heard but I keep planning to fish herring from shore every winter and never do. Info is scarce. A mess of smoked herring would be so awesome!

20 hours ago, gellfex said:

No smelts down here that I've ever heard but I keep planning to fish herring from shore every winter and never do. Info is scarce. A mess of smoked herring would be so awesome!

Where is here? I've caught plenty of herring in LI Sound during the winter.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Where is here? I've caught plenty of herring in LI Sound during the winter.

Well, I'd travel, but specifically the Jersey side of NY harbor and Raritan Bay. I've heard about them at Coney, but never about Staten I.  The problem with the far western Sound is shore access, I usually kayak there, but deep winter is just not that safe. I've also not found a lot written about how to find them. Some anecdotes are are 'sometimes they're there, sometimes not'. That's ok if I can try 15 minutes away, but for a $12 toll and an hour plus of traffic, I would want some confidence of getting some damn herring!

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Well, I'd travel, but specifically the Jersey side of NY harbor and Raritan Bay. I've heard about them at Coney, but never about Staten I.  The problem with the far western Sound is shore access, I usually kayak there, but deep winter is just not that safe. I've also not found a lot written about how to find them. Some anecdotes are are 'sometimes they're there, sometimes not'. That's ok if I can try 15 minutes away, but for a $12 toll and an hour plus of traffic, I would want some confidence of getting some damn herring!

I'm not a kyaker but you should be able to find places to launch in Norwalk and Stamford harbors. Keep checking with the tackle shops, when they are around they are easy to catch.

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I'm not a kyaker but you should be able to find places to launch in Norwalk and Stamford harbors. Keep checking with the tackle shops, when they are around they are easy to catch.

Thanks, but in good traffic Stamford is 1 1/2 hrs away. And pick the wrong time to cross NYC and you can add an hour to that! I'd have to be pretty confident. I've heard all you need is a Sabiki and a light setup.

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

Thanks, but in good traffic Stamford is 1 1/2 hrs away. And pick the wrong time to cross NYC and you can add an hour to that! I'd have to be pretty confident. I've heard all you need is a Sabiki and a light setup.

Yeah a sabiki rig with a dodger on top will get you all you want when they are around. I would guess you could get them further west in the sound, but I don't know that for sure.

25 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Yeah a sabiki rig with a dodger on top will get you all you want when they are around. I would guess you could get them further west in the sound, but I don't know that for sure.

Dodger?

Edit: googled, same as flasher.

Edited by gellfex

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Dodger?

Edit: googled, same as flasher.

Will try and see if i can avoid freezing!

Edited by Tom Angler

3 mins ago, Tom Angler said:

Flasher! thank you! never heard of this. What is it? Is it just a sabiki rig with shiny stuff?

I found this, haven't watched it yet...

On 10/24/2021 at 7:56 PM, Tom Angler said:

Going to try for smelt this year from kayak. Will target in MA.

probably in a few weeks. Anyone want to go?

Night fishing. cold. Dry suit and warm gear.

Few piers from Quincy, Hingham all the way down to Hull should have them even day time. Fore river bait shop should be give you some intel. Stop by for grass shrimp.

34 mins ago, foxfai said:

Few piers from Quincy, Hingham all the way down to Hull should have them even day time. Fore river bait shop should be give you some intel. Stop by for grass shrimp.

awesomeness! on it!