Eeeeels

VR50 or Salt x?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On the fence about these. So maybe some peeps with experience with them could help me make my mind up.

Using an ODM DNA 9 footer

Eeeeels………

Edited by Eeeeels

The new vr51 and vr75 are pretty solid reels if your hard on reels. The Saltx seems alright for the price and for a tad more, I would lean toward the Van staal personally. Check out the newer version VR's.

Put a VR150 on the DNA 9’ and it felt way too heavy and unbalanced. Went to a Stradic 5000 and it was incredible. I think a reel between 11-14 or 15 oz at most would be ideal for the 9’. 

Everyone I've spoken to with the vr50 raves about them. Read some not so great things about saltx. I like penn cause theyre easy to work on.

Between the two I would go with the VS,

That being said, I have a Diawa Ballistic LT 6000 on my ODM 9 footer & @ 11.1 oz. I feel it's the perfect set up.

Not so much if you are going to get it dunked though.

Love the vr50. Move it from a 8’ to a 9’ constantly. Have the VR175 on a 10’6 DNA that’s a go to for me as well. The vr50 probably my favorite right now and has taken down some large fish without an issue.

I have the saltx 4000 paired with a 9 ft Lamiglas XRSA 1083 and love the setup. I got the Saltx last fall and have used it 3-4 times a week in season. Dunked it a few times in the bay this past spring and took some waves out front. No issues for me and much prefer bail less reels.

8 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

On the fence about these. So maybe some peeps with experience with them could help me make my mind up.

Using an ODM DNA 9 footer

Eeeeels………

I run my vr50 on an 8’ blank and a 7’ on a boat. For some reason I think it would feel too small on a 9.  

I have a salt-x 6000, visser no. 5, and a vr201 

of the three the salt-x has had no issues major or minor.

fished my vr201 and It got a squeak after the first  night out (minor issue)

the visser no 5 (gen 1) was just a major issue

the replacment visser no 5 (gen 2) the spool was bottoming out (major issue, swapped spools now I love it. It’s my preferred reel)

and the low on the totem pole salt-x 6000 has been flawless. I wish the retrieve rate was higher, if it was I’d fish the salt-x over the other two. 

Agreed 50 too small, but if the rod is a 5 power or less then a vsx 100 would pair nicely.  I have a 1085 paired with the 100 and it’s a great outfit.

I have both reels, my 9 ft DNA feels more balanced with the Saltx. I have only had the Salt x’s for 7 months but I’ve had them fully submerged many times with 0 issues. I like the drag better as well. I have old gen VS’s and the VR , the new reels VS puts out are lacking in quality internal hardware compared to the old gen. Ask the guys who do the maintenance on em , they will say the same.

10 hours ago, cartopper said:

Agreed 50 too small, but if the rod is a 5 power or less then a vsx 100 would pair nicely.  I have a 1085 paired with the 100 and it’s a great outfit.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a 5 power rod?