jjdbike

Broken vehicle key, how to put on ring?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I know to folks that are creative and handy this probably seems like a ridiculously silly question.

The plastic (or what ever material it is) top of my 4Runner key book, making it impossible to keep it on my keychain.

See the pic below. Other than buying a new key (these things are stupid expensive), does anyone have a good ideas on  sturdy and secure was of fixing this so I can safely carry it one my key ring?

Thanks in advance,

JD

IMG_1293.jpeg

32 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

I know to folks that are creative and handy this probably seems like a ridiculously silly question.

The plastic (or what ever material it is) top of my 4Runner key book, making it impossible to keep it on my keychain.

See the pic below. Other than buying a new key (these things are stupid expensive), does anyone have a good ideas on  sturdy and secure was of fixing this so I can safely carry it one my key ring?

Thanks in advance,

JD

IMG_1293.jpeg

take braid line 80# or nylon rope and glue from botm head over top to second side downn with loop ,with crayze glue..

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Do a search for car key shell replacement 4Runner.  

There's a variety of types. Some you can just transfer everything including the blade, some you need a new blade cut which is crazy expensive for some key types, but not yours. I had that happen just recently on a Honda replacement shell, but I have a machine shop and used a milling machine to cut a slot to add in a stainless washer to replace the crappy broken loop. 

Edited by gellfex

41 mins ago, alaskansteve said:

JB Weld the whole top of the key all around the broken part, let it harden then drill a new hole for a ring.

This is what i was thinking too.

1 hour ago, alaskansteve said:

JB Weld the whole top of the key all around the broken part, let it harden then drill a new hole for a ring.

Good idea, just have to make sure the two sections aren’t glued together so you can still replace the battery.

11 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

For my old Pathfinder the new housing ran $6 or 7 a few year back.  Son had about the same cost for his Ford.  The river site has them

11 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

Just stick a tooth pick  in the middle while lobbing that thing with JB weld, then pull the tooth pick after hardens.

Edited by foxfai

A shell is under 10 bucks delivered to your door the next day. JB Weld is glue. It’s not much better than any other glue on the market. Frankly to save a few dollars to glue plastic together or fill a missing piece is asking to lose your key. Get a new shell and save the trip to the locksmith and/or glue store. 

Edited by poopdeck