JerseyMike609

*SURF RODS*

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

I’m looking to buy a 10ft Surf Rod for $500 or less to fish the sand beaches of NJ I mostly fish Tins,Shad’s and Bucktails. I’ve heard of companies holding test casts does anyone know if those still go on and what is your Favorite Rod in your Arsenal??

Just now, JerseyMike609 said:

I’m looking to buy a 10ft Surf Rod for $500 or less to fish the sand beaches of NJ I mostly fish Tins,Shad’s and Bucktails. I’ve heard of companies holding test casts does anyone know if those still go on and what is your Favorite Rod in your Arsenal??

Lamiglas GSB

3 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

Lamiglas GSB

And GSB’s will still launch a lure far out there or do they feel like your not casting as far as you should be?

1 hour ago, JerseyMike609 said:

And GSB’s will still launch a lure far out there or do they feel like your not casting as far as you should be?

parabolic rod so it'll launch anything with ease. From light plastics to metals and everything in between. I have the GSB10LS and love it for when I am throwing light lures but need some distance.

My go to surf rod is a Diawa Beef Stick 12 foot casting rod... It can handle any size fish off the beach from a monster Blue to a monster shark...

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

if i am looking for rod.

what weight you casting and what destance you need to reach,

if i take 7' spining rod and cast 7/8 oz lure i can cast 8 hours with ot problem.last night i was casting  170'.

if you take 10' or 12' rod you just work harder and cast 20' longer.

i can put 1 oz on 7' and i cast longer then you with 7/8 oz lure.

yes you can put 1 oz on 12' rod,but how hard you work with 10' or 12' rod.

i am looking for lightest rod,best price,and the reel same thing.

Edited by snag777

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I'm starting to really love my ODM rod.

Yea I was looking at ODM and the SaltX the other day and I really wanted to walk out with one but I couldn’t choose between them all

2 hours ago, snag777 said:

if i am looking for rod.

what weight you casting and what destance you need to reach,

if i take 7' spining rod and cast 7/8 oz lure i can cast 8 hours with ot problem.last night i was casting  170'.

if you take 10' or 12' rod you just work harder and cast 20' longer.

i can put 1 oz on 7' and i cast longer then you with 7/8 oz lure.

yes you can put 1 oz on 12' rod,but how hard you work with 10' or 12' rod.

i am looking for lightest rod,best price,and the reel same thing.

Your logic is skewed at best..

Your 7’ rod is at a serious disadvantage in the the surf.

That’s great you can cast 8 hours no problem. The problem comes with wave height, wind and fighting fish with that set up. Good luck with that if you get into an all day blitz, you will be under gunned.

Seriously doubt you can cast 1 oz. farther than anybody. You can’t cast 3 oz. with that set up. I can do both.

I cast more than 8 hours with 9’ or 10’ rods no problem, Yes, it is work but I use the best tool for the task at hand.

If casting the lightest, best price rod reel is your thing, and you don’t need to work, awesome.

I’d rather have the best rod reel combo that puts fish on the beach. It will not be the lightest set up but is the one I have the most confidence in.

3 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Your logic is skewed at best..

Your 7’ rod is at a serious disadvantage in the the surf.

That’s great you can cast 8 hours no problem. The problem comes with wave height, wind and fighting fish with that set up. Good luck with that if you get into an all day blitz, you will be under gunned.

Seriously doubt you can cast 1 oz. farther than anybody. You can’t cast 3 oz. with that set up. I can do both.

I cast more than 8 hours with 9’ or 10’ rods no problem, Yes, it is work but I use the best tool for the task at hand.

If casting the lightest, best price rod reel is your thing, and you don’t need to work, awesome.

I’d rather have the best rod reel combo that puts fish on the beach. It will not be the lightest set up but is the one I have the most confidence in.

Yea seriously,I don’t think that came across the way he was meaning it to because you can make the opposite point exactly the same way. I’ve got a bunch of Rods I’m looking for a 10fter to bomb tins to the horizon lol!