irishexit

Mono to Braid-No Swivel on Jetty

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

People do do it. I don't understand why though. All those braid to mono knots gotta be fun to tie standing on a sketchy rock. Swivel all the way...

6 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

People do do it. I don't understand why though. All those braid to mono knots gotta be fun to tie standing on a sketchy rock. Swivel all the way...

No doubt....I wouldn't want to try and tie one of these at night out on the end of a jetty....hopefully the only I have rigged doesn't get snapped off...lol
I want to try it because I want a nice long leader to help land a fish on the jetty BUT not have to deal with the swivel going into the guides.

27 mins ago, irishexit said:

No doubt....I wouldn't want to try and tie one of these at night out on the end of a jetty....hopefully the only I have rigged doesn't get snapped off...lol
I want to try it because I want a nice long leader to help land a fish on the jetty BUT not have to deal with the swivel going into the guides.

That’s exactly why I tie leader to braid knots over a swivel, long leaders are really really nice to have for lifting fish. The Alberto knot is easy to tie, especially with a heavy thick leader to braid. If I break off and it’s sketchy, I’ll just tie on a prerigged swivel/leader/clip. Swivels can also get hung up in rocks so not having one sometimes helps reduce hang ups in sticky areas. 

4 mins ago, hairyfishhead said:

That’s exactly why I tie leader to braid knots over a swivel, long leaders are really really nice to have for lifting fish. The Alberto knot is easy to tie, especially with a heavy thick leader to braid. If I break off and it’s sketchy, I’ll just tie on a prerigged swivel/leader/clip. Swivels can also get hung up in rocks so not having one sometimes helps reduce hang ups in sticky areas. 

That's exactly my plan...one snap off and its back to the leader wallet.

i use all time swivel,no line twist,castin,bober or troling..

you can use micro swivei wil go true eylets.some peole use micro swivel for troling 59' leader.

4 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I use a large bead above any swivel I use. Protects the guid.

Isnt a bead hitting your top eye the same

as a barrel swivel hitting it?

9 hours ago, irishexit said:

Does anyone tie Mono to Braid when fishing strong current for Bass ?
Uni to Uni ?

FG knot all the way, no question. Once you tie one correctly you’ll understand. 

If if you do a web search for salt strong FG knot there is a video that shows you how to tie it while keeping tension on the line... and it’s easy enough that you could do it on a jetty. Only mono to braid. But it’s not something you’re retieing on each outing- usually last until you notice the mono leader getting beat up from casting 

Uni to uni.  Swivels just get in the way and attract bluefish.  2 uni knots is just as quick to tie as a palomar to one end of the swivel and a clinch to the end, so why waste hardware for no reason.  I see a lot of guys fumbling around with pretied leaders for 10 minutes trying to untangle them on the rocks.  No thank you.

I use a uni/uni all the time when connecting braid to mono. Strong current, no current, it doesn't matter. The knot is so easy, I can tie it in the dark.

24 mins ago, Kima said:

Uni to uni.  Swivels just get in the way and attract bluefish.  2 uni knots is just as quick to tie as a palomar to one end of the swivel and a clinch to the end, so why waste hardware for no reason.  I see a lot of guys fumbling around with pretied leaders for 10 minutes trying to untangle them on the rocks.  No thank you.

I will agree with you on the bluefish hitting swivels. But, I can tie knots in the braid to a swivel. Without turning on my light if I have to. I'll know that the knots on the leader will be tied correctly. Cause I tied them sitting on my couch.