KASter

Rig for sand dabs from surf

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi All, pretty new here, did a search, hope I’m not asking something that’s been covered 1000 times. Sand dabs are small, but tasty. Is there a good rig for getting them in the surf? Sandy bottoms offshore I see multiple small hooks and squid. But I surf fish.

3 hours ago, KASter said:

Hi All, pretty new here, did a search, hope I’m not asking something that’s been covered 1000 times. Sand dabs are small, but tasty. Is there a good rig for getting them in the surf? Sandy bottoms offshore I see multiple small hooks and squid. But I surf fish.

When they were plentiful we caught them as by catch when plugging for striped bass.  They really hit teasers.  Maybe target them in the surf with fluke methods.  Bucktail tipped with squid and a teaser above.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, KASter said:

2 hours ago, DZ said:

When they were plentiful we caught them as by catch when plugging for striped bass.  They really hit teasers.  Maybe target them in the surf with fluke methods.  Bucktail tipped with squid and a teaser above.  

I'm wondering where the OP is fishing.

I'm not saying I know anything about sand dabs, but I've only ever heard of them on the pacific side. I believe there are several small flatfish that are caught in the pacific surf.

In our local NJ (Mind-Atlantic) surf we have sun dials, a.k.a windowpane flounders. In my experience in the last few years, they are occasional bycatch. I've not noticed them in numbers that would make them a viable target. 

Is this other people's experience?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

6 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I'm not saying I know anything about sand dabs, but I've only ever heard of them on the pacific side. I believe there are several small flatfish that are caught in the pacific surf.

In our local NJ (Mind-Atlantic) surf we have sun dials, a.k.a windowpane flounders. In my experience in the last few years, they are occasional bycatch. I've not noticed them in numbers that would make them a viable target. 

JD

Window Pane is another name I used for the sand dabs we caught here in New England . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay,

Good to know. Thank you for clarifying.

I think I've noticed them being more prevalent down here during colder times. I've heard many mistakenly refer to them as winter flounder.

Perhaps they're more prevalent further north?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Yeah, said I was new. I’m in the SF Bay Area. Should have posted to West Coast Forum, buuuut, I’ve already learned from your posts so, keep sharing ideas. I’m kinda thinking a weighted sabiki rig with short hook lines, #4 hooks and squid.

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

JD

I've heard sundials called sand dabs up in New England, and I'm guessing--but am not certain--that's what he's talking about.

12 hours ago, KASter said:

I've caught plenty on small bucktails and soft plastic.  They'll climb all over killies, if you have them, and you can use pennants of squid, too.  Fish them actively as opposed to cast and let lie.

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Okay,

Good to know. Thank you for clarifying.

I think I've noticed them being more prevalent down here during colder times. I've heard many mistakenly refer to them as winter flounder.

Perhaps they're more prevalent further north?

JD

Actually, the northern (Gulf of Maine) stock is overfished, while the Southern New England stock is not.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/windowpane-flounder

DUDE!!! If you have sanddabs the first thing ya do is keep yer mouth shut!!!!

Here on the east coast in my younger days I would bass fish all night for money and in the morning I would hit the sand dabs to feed my five kids. They loved themTake yourself a bucktail jig  with a teaser 16"-18" above the jig and just walk the beach.

I bought a soft fillet knife just for sanddabs.

My girls could eat one or two five gallon buckets of dabs at one sitting and the dog would eat all the skins.

PS Yer dam lucky  I'm on the other coast.  have fun.

OH I FERGOT TA TELL YA THAT OUR FEARLESS LEADERS ALOUD US TER HAVE SEALS INSTEAD OF FISH.

iF YER THINK YA WOULD LIKE TA TRY SEAL MEAT JUST HOLLER!!!

Thanks Old Goat! I’m not sure I’ve found them, but I did catch one while surf fishing for perch. Tasty!! Thanks for the rig advice! Seals? Never filleted one, yet.