Recoil Rob

Too long a leader = wind knots?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

7ft St. Croix with a Boca 40, casting from a boat.

I tried putting about a 15ft shock leader on the main braid and a terrible problem with wind knots.

Main line is new 30# Green Power Pro, I attached a 15' length of Ande 40# with an FG knot. Then a swivel and 2-3ft of flouro tied to the plucg

My thinking is I'd rather have mono under my index finger when casting then the PP, much more comfortable and also easier to handle a fish at boat-side.

But have been having a terrible problem with wind knots. I'm wondering if the mono, having more wind resistance than the braid, is slowing down faster than the braid when the plug hits the water, causing the knots.

I've had wind knots with this setup before but never this bad.

Ideas?

I’m thinking that your 15’ leader is slower off the spool than your braid hence your knots.

Try a swivel to your power pro and a 24” to 30” leader and tape your index finger.

Or drop your leader size to make it closer to your PP diameter. 15 to 20 lb leader should be closer.

Your thinking with this set up works on conventional reels, not so much with spinning.

20 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

You gotta drop down in size on the mono. 20# should work for just about anything.

This. Can’t say I ever go bigger than 20lb braid and 20b leader on my 7 footers. I do use a longer leader (about 6 feet, FG knot sits between the two largest guides when I’m ready to cast) and don’t have any issues with wind knots. I find with smaller rods and lighter line you don’t typically need to protect your casting finger, especially if you’re using 8 carrier braid. 

3 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

PP was your first mistake.

Why?  PP is used 10x more than any other braid on the planet.  

I used 50 different braids in the past few years, and spooled up with OG power pro...and it is still very good.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anytime your knot is on the spool...you run the rist of it grabbing the join knot as it passes through the stripper guide.

As the line coming off the spool blows by the stripper...when it collects itself the knot can catch around the frame on the knot.....Blow by knots are such a pain.  

Doesn't matter what brand or lb test combination.

worth mentioning that on harder casts where the leader stretches....that sling shot effect will have a higher liklihood of catching. 

Edited by scoobydoo

Why on earth are you using a shock leader on that setup to begin with?  There's no reason for it.  30# braid isnt going to cut you unless you have the skin of an infant and are powercasting 6oz with your drag set too loose.  Stick with a normal 3-4 foot leader.

That being said, what is probably happening is that an exposed tag end on your FG knot is grabbing a loop of braid and pulling it off the spool prematurely.

1 min ago, Recoil Rob said:

Come to think of it, harder casts seemed more problematic.

I'm dialing down on the leader # and length, thanks boys.

You can use as heavy a leader as you want - just keep it out of the guides :th:

49 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Why?  PP is used 10x more than any other braid on the planet.  

I used 50 different braids in the past few years, and spooled up with OG power pro...and it is still very good.

Very good is not good enough

On my MH inshore setups, I use 20# braid > barrel swivel > 20# mono leader (3-4') > clip.  No more line to line knots for me.  I don't trust them and I apparently suck at knots in general anyway.  Plus as stated above, they'll catch on the spool as well as the guides.

Watch your cast and cup the spool just as the lure is about to hit the water. Just give it a try.

8 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

Very good is not good enough

Seems to me the majority of people on here with wind knot issues are using pp. I personally boycotted it years ago because of mystery break offs.

4 hours ago, Kapfish said:

Seems to me the majority of people on here with wind knot issues are using pp. 

Which makes perfect sense if you consider the fact that the overwhelming majority of braid users are using powerpro.  It's like saying that people who drive gasoline-powered cars get into the majority of accidents.

Powerpro, in my experience, is no more prone to wind knot issues than any other braid of a comparable diameter.  I.e., you can't compare 30# PP to 30# Fireline.

Any braid is going to throw knots if you retrieve with insufficient tension and/or overfill your spool.  What seems to happen a lot is that spools filled with braid at a tackle shop are packed too tight, and after being rewound under normal fishing tensions the braid takes up more space on the spool, which is then effectively over-filled.  Shops also dont usually wind line on in a cross-wrap pattern like your reel does, which affects the amount of line a spool can hold.  So, lots of factors in play, but most are easy fixes if you understand what's going on.