gellfex

Dead car battery, smart charger blinks error? Battery is new

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I think I Ieft the interior lights on a few days ago on the van, now it's flat dead. I have a decent smart charger, but when it checks the battery it flashes an error. Can this brand new battery be unchargeably dead? Will Costco honor the warranty?

14 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Get a dumb charger!

Seriously an old charger will sometimes bring them back from the dead. 

The only one I have is only like 2A.

Good place to start, it is still 12 volts so overnight it then try the smart charger.

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

The only one I have is only like 2A.

Just now, CapeDave said:

Good place to start, it is still 12 volts so overnight it then try the smart charger.

Question is whether to just drive it over to Costco and get it replaced, if it's this damaged.

I have a 98 Astro with out a buzzer and leave the light on it has been dead multiple times and it still works.

Hell if they will give you a new one go for it.

19 mins ago, CapeDave said:

I have a 98 Astro with out a buzzer and leave the light on it has been dead multiple times and it still works.

Hell if they will give you a new one go for it.

Of course, now it's too late in the day, they close at 6. But the story seems to have a happy ending. I went out with the 2A charger, and the light is no longer flashing. But it's still on led #1 of 5. I open the door, the cabin lights come on. So I say WTF and try the ignition and it starts! Before, it wasn't even clicking the solenoid. I'll leave it charging overnight.

So I guess fishing is still on for tomorrow. Gotta fix the battery connection in the kayak. Batteries seem to be my problem everywhere.

Some great suggestions here.

Smart chargers should get a charge on the battery, but it'll take at least a good 24+ hours before you see any signs of life.

Replace the muffler bearing.    :D

Many of these new "smart" chargers will not charge a stone dead battery.

But it sounds like you may have a corroded connection somewhere. Clean you battery terminals and check the connections to the terminals.

Old trick to bring back stone dead batteries, connect dead battery to a known good battery in parallel and charge both. Charger will just see one weak battery and charge both. Once dead battery gets some charge in it you can charge just the once dead battery on its own. 

2 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

This is true... I have a noco 10 that has a force start feature because it wont recognize  a fully discharged battery

17 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Replace the muffler bearing.    :D

But it sounds like you may have a corroded connection somewhere. Clean you battery terminals and check the connections to the terminals.

Old trick to bring back stone dead batteries, connect dead battery to a known good battery in parallel and charge both. Charger will just see one weak battery and charge both. Once dead battery gets some charge in it you can charge just the once dead battery on its own. 

I need to try that with a dead SLA that I have.