cityevader

Can't find...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

...a thread or link i once saw.

To coat an entire rod, with resin in a cup, rubber over its bottom and pierced, filled, run down the length of a vertically held rod.

I'm re-doing an old Fenwick, and the fiberglass definitely needs a coating...i'm debating resin versus polyurethane, too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's the way all the manufacturers apply finish, they never use resin, it has way to many negatives starting with weight. You can hang a blank and apply finish with a soaked sponge applicator/brush in long tip to butt strokes. The reason you see a section of the blank bare at the butt, or if you don't , they cut the butt to length after the finish was applied.

Edited by spoonplugger1

if you cant hang the blank try permagloss on a sponge on your hand (latex/nitrile glove). you dont have to apply finish where the handle will be so put the rod in the chuck and a support a foot or so away. dont rotate the rod while applying. work from tip to butt. put the wet sponge in your hand, grip the rod between thumb and fore finger and basically squeegee the finish on. permagloss doesnt set up as quick as it used to but still keep moving, get a  thin coat on let it dry and do it again

I just coated an old fiberglass rod with U40 Permagloss.  I used a rod dryer to slowly spin the rod as I applied it horizontally about 3 inches at a time and then smoothed over with a small brush.  Took about 15 mins for 7 foot rod.  Here's the before and after,

IMG-2025.jpg

IMG-2030.jpg

I just used some water based polyurethane from another project. It levels itself out really nicely.

An acid brush and 5 minutes (two coats an hour apart) has it looking real purty like.

WAY easier than resin.