Heavy Hooksetter

Tuna in NYC?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

The article is a little late; those fish have more or less left now, although there should be one more shot of bluefin around Thanksgiving, but the fishery lasted for 10 weeks or so.

I couldn't bring myself to go over and fish it, given the number of boats and the personalities of a lot of the operators, but there were a lot of 200-pound class fish taken out of there, along with some big cobia and such.  I have to confess that I'd rather get skunked than fish in a crowd.  I fish to get away from people.

People are talking about 600-pound bluefin, but what they're not mantioning is that a lof of illegal bluefin were killed, because the quota for recreational fish over 73 inches was filled very early this year--not long after Memorial Day, due to an early shot of May giants.  So the ethincal folks were trying to figure out how to measure a still lively tuna to make sure it was under 73 inches, while the unethical folks were breaking the law while enforcement was ineffective (I heard one story from a local charter boat captain who said that the Coast Guard stopped one boat who had an oversize bluefish, the guy in the boat said that the fish was a bigeye, and so legal, and the Coast Guard team said OK and moved on).

It will be interesting to see if the fishery repeats next year.

The pics in front of the Statue of Liberty are BS, right? As I read the fish were taken outside the Verrazano in JB or further. 

They were 2-3 miles off Breezy Point for a month with unconfirmed siteings inside Raritan Bay. The pix with the S L was taken on the way home. 

19 hours ago, CWitek said:

The article is a little late; those fish have more or less left now, although there should be one more shot of bluefin around Thanksgiving, but the fishery lasted for 10 weeks or so.

I couldn't bring myself to go over and fish it, given the number of boats and the personalities of a lot of the operators, but there were a lot of 200-pound class fish taken out of there, along with some big cobia and such.  I have to confess that I'd rather get skunked than fish in a crowd.  I fish to get away from people.

People are talking about 600-pound bluefin, but what they're not mantioning is that a lof of illegal bluefin were killed, because the quota for recreational fish over 73 inches was filled very early this year--not long after Memorial Day, due to an early shot of May giants.  So the ethincal folks were trying to figure out how to measure a still lively tuna to make sure it was under 73 inches, while the unethical folks were breaking the law while enforcement was ineffective (I heard one story from a local charter boat captain who said that the Coast Guard stopped one boat who had an oversize bluefish, the guy in the boat said that the fish was a bigeye, and so legal, and the Coast Guard team said OK and moved on).

You have never seen so many 72.5”

bluefin tuna before in your life. 

21 hours ago, CWitek said:

over/under on the amount of 'fresh' tuna in local restaurants?

I was on block recently, lots of 'fresh' mako on the menu of multiple restaurants while I was out there. First, it was various grilled offerings but then there was shark salad on the menu as well. Someone either had a big one or there where multiples caught. And, no, i did not order it. It's great eating obviously but I can't support that.

22 hours ago, CWitek said:

:banghd:  What was the Coast Guard supposed to do Nothing Illegal there just missed ID of a YELLOW EYE :howdy:

24 mins ago, Drew C. said:

over/under on the amount of 'fresh' tuna in local restaurants?

I was on block recently, lots of 'fresh' mako on the menu of multiple restaurants while I was out there. First, it was various grilled offerings but then there was shark salad on the menu as well. Someone either had a big one or there where multiples caught. And, no, i did not order it. It's great eating obviously but I can't support that.

What is your take on Sword Fish - Marlin - Striped Bass all On the Menus 

Posted (edited) · Report post

@Heavy Hooksetter I saw this video mid to late September. It's said the fish came in about three weeks before hurricane Ida.

Don't know if there was some creative video editing or what. The replies should be interesting.

I think this BlacktipH guy is frowned upon for posting photos of killing Bass way over the limit.

Edited by Lou T

17 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

:banghd:  What was the Coast Guard supposed to do Nothing Illegal there just missed ID of a YELLOW EYE :howdy:

What are you talking about; Yellow eye ??

21 mins ago, Lou T said:

What are you talking about; Yellow eye ??

Read the post by Cwitec      Over-Sized Blue Fish Nickname Yellow Eye !!!!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tuna in NY Harbor harkens back when they were Common in Close off and in Monmouth County waters,  From off LI -BA Bouy to up against the Breakwater at the Atlantic Highlands,  Pound Neters were complaining about them destroying the nets full of Fish ( Bunkers )  Boaters fishing the Hook off the Highlands Bridge out to the Shrewsbury Rocks for Blue Fish had them attack them in the Chum Slicks but many in the Era did not posses the Rods & reels to Catch them I Personally had many Run-Offs in that area.  And all of this while the Bunker were massive and the processing Plant in Belford was active. Not Only Bunker was the draw but many others were plentifully drawing the Tuna in. Party ( Head Boats ) and Charter tried to Target them with only a few that were successful. Boats from Montauk and  Mass. arrived and it was fishery that lasted only a few years. as they moved offshore and it seemed that area was crossed off their Migration Pattern.  Bunkers Porgies Ling Whiting all went down in numbers, only Bule fish Remained Till Recently. as Bunkers are having a good Showing and the Water Pattern Temps become favorable. More and More Southern Fish have been enjoying the Bait and Warmer waters. 

Witness to it is The Stripers not Migrating Yet The Table is set for them they just need an Invite And the Weather pattern for next week with the first Nor Easter might be that Invite,  

Edited by Cheeckakoe

15 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Read the post by Cwitec      Over-Sized Blue Fish Nickname Yellow Eye !!!!!!!

It was a typo. It should of read Bluefin.

Coast Guard stopped one boat who had an oversize bluefish ( blue fin tuna ), the guy in the boat said that the fish was a bigeye, and so legal, and the Coast Guard team said OK and moved on).

It's hard to distinguish a Blue fin from a Bigeye tuna except for the trained eye. Externally on a Bluefin tuna; (look at the picture above in the video) The pectoral fin ends roughly at the end of the first dorsal fin. Although the pectoral is standing straight out you can clearly see the inlay in the body where the tuna tucks the fin in near the body for high speed swimming. However if you look closely at a Bigeye tuna the pectoral fin extends past the first dorsal all the way to the second dorsal.