hotfishgirl

wheelchair friendly trout spot

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi,two of my friends are both in wheelchairs and both want to go fishing.I am looking for fresh water trout spots in plymouth/cape area  where these two can roll around easy. both of my friends are in good shape and independent.

I am thinking Morton park?maybe near the ramp?or there is a hard sand area.

any better ideas??

1 hour ago, gregwa said:

North side, long pond in Plymouth

i was thinking of this spot,just not sure there will be room.Might need to get there very early.

Yes, definitely get there early.....sun up early, park across the street and wheel em in to the side of the boat ramp .My nephew is in a chair and we do well there. I can pm more info if needed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Morton park by the boat ramp is not very flat. Often there is a runoff rut there and it slops down. I would suggest the turn out by the boat ramp on Long Pond Plymouth too.

Not sure about the viability of dock at Oakcrest at Peters pond but that is another location that comes to mind. Not sure you could get a wheelchair on it but if you could there is good fishing right there.

One last thought at Sheeps pond landing in Brewster there is a small deck to the right of the boat ramp that I believe was built for this purpose but it is back just a bit from the water. Fisherman often stand just in front of it but it is possible that could work.

Edited by JEFFSOD

There really should be more wheelchair and handicapped accessible trout spots.

This was made evident to me a few years ago when I was recovering from surgery. 

Seems like a good use of the extra funds they want to collect with the fee increase. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Hi,two of my friends are both in wheelchairs and both want to go fishing.I am looking for fresh water trout spots in plymouth/cape area  where these two can roll around easy. both of my friends are in good shape and independent.

any better ideas??

When we lived in north carolina, i was a member of the lions club. Our group had a 28' mobile kitchen. We supported every activity in area from oshkosh flyin to state fair. And we had an impaired vision fishing event every year on area piers and charter fishing boats. 

The piers are easier for a wheelchair. Morton park, little pond just got stocked with trout but parking areas are sand? 

Edited by Dave588

Fishing wheel chair access is a hard thing to find . No matter it be fresh or salt . Given the present situation here in the Cape Cod Canal are two bridges which will be replaced and they are sitting on ideal fishing platforms for those who may be confined in a wheel chair or are disabled in some manner . It will be my mission in representing the American legion post 188 here in Sandwich to have the Army Corp consider leaving them in the water after the bridges come down and converting all four platforms to allow for only wheelchair and disabled fishermen and women to use them . Given they will be a solid structure , low to the water , with a new top of steel or cement and low railings they will become an area that will allow those wheel chair bound and disabled fishing folks a safe platform to fish from , that is not present now. They would have the ability to fish from these platforms on all four sides, be safe while fishing and get to enjoy fishing the canal like every one else that is not disabled to do . Part of the discussion will also be about also placing more handicap parking spaces and fishing area for the disabled and seniors at the Sandwich Bulkhead as part of the new construction work to replace the front of the bulkheads be included to also improve this area for those who presently fish there now that are also disabled. If they consider both projects then into the future at least for those disabled and also wheelchair bound will have the same opportunities that are not so impaired. Peace and Prayers   

I'm going to try long pond  first thing in the AM.I'm thinking most guys would make some room for a couple Guys that lost their legs fighting for our country but the things i have seen in a short amount have me definitely worried about the human race.

8 hours ago, mikez2 said:

There really should be more wheelchair and handicapped accessible trout spots.

This was made evident to me a few years ago when I was recovering from surgery. 

Seems like a good use of the extra funds they want to collect with the fee increase. 

A couple of older fishing friends of mine have the same issues, so I've been more sensitive to this lately. There really aren't many appropriate spots, when you stop and think about it. 

10 hours ago, fishBAD said:

Lake Cochituate in Framingham has plenty of concrete to fish off of.  

Ditto at Hopkinton Res.

15 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

any better ideas??

If you go right when you enter Morton Park and follow that road around you will come to another beach area that is very fishable ( I think that its called Red Brook beach. It is a good option vs the boat ramp depending on the wind direction