JimK

In the market for a new reel $250-$300 range..

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'll be using a 8 1/2 or 9 foot medium action rod. Mostly tossing 1 oz to 2 oz lures.  I'm considering BG MQ.. any reviews on this reel? What else should I consider looking at? Thanks in advance.

BG MQ is not worth the money.  I own one and it leaks like a sieve.  It is a strong reel but don’t get it wet

Sock away another $25-50 a week until you can get into a used Van Staal 200. I bought one off one of these fishing boards for $400 back in 2003-2004. Probably the best fishing investment I have made. Be patient. They come up. Might not hurt starting a WTB thread.

I'm swearing off non-sealed reels this year. I suggest going with a Saragosa SWA, which is the new one, or maybe try the new Spheros which isn't yet available but will be in the $150 range for the 5000 size. 

Personally, I'd buy (2 )Daiwa SS2600's for $250 and always have a spare for times of trouble. With that reel, you might just have a new one in the box for years to come. That being said, you won't even consider it, thats fine, I won't say I told you  but thats what I would do with my money. Read up on them, you'll find mostly positive experiences and loyalty to them. I'm a Daiwa fan, but I wouldn't take a new BG of an style over the SS, maybe I'd consider a 4500 Saltist if I  didn't feel the love for the SS. The SS lost its appeal a few years back when the newer more bb reels became popular and Shimano took over the market along with the el'cheapo's. My 2nd favorite reels are the Tica Libras or Taurus (too heavy), both will perform as well as you'd wish. 

With your money, probably the Saragosa 5 or 6000, nice reels but durability is being questioned, for me they don't fit my hand as well as the Daiwa SS. Unless your swimming you do not want or need a VS, Zee Baas or Stradic and they are out of your price range (smartly) anyway. If I had to fish a tide tonight and you offered me a brandy new VS or Zee Baas or a Shimano Spheros or Daiwa BG, I'd take the latter 2 every time. Expensive doesn't mean best, notice I did leave the Stradic out.

Buy the Gosa', use it , if you don't like it, or it leaks, you'll get 70% of your droppings back. 

1 hour ago, MattieG said:

, Or 5000 Saragosa. 

2nd vote for a 'Gosa.

They are work horse reels that cast great and have an awesome drag.

Saragosa SWA dominates this price category currently. The Spheros SW that's going to be released this month is pretty much the Saragosa but lacking the bottom drag stack and for half the price.

Another vote for the new gosa swa 

Absolutely love mine and am planning on replacing other reels in my arsenal with more of them if I can ever find the sizes I need in stock 

5000/6000 size rods pair perfectly with a 8-9 footer 

I've got a 5000 with a spare 6k spool with heavier line on it just for when I know bigger fish are around and I want to feel better about that slight chance I slam a monster 

11 hours ago, Inception said:

Saragosa SWA dominates this price category currently. The Spheros SW that's going to be released this month is pretty much the Saragosa but lacking the bottom drag stack and for half the price.

Good to see the Spheros coming back down in price.  Probably will get one next year, great value reel.