SurfcasterJim

Gloves for wetsuiting

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Looking for a good pair of fishing gloves to wear while wetsuiting.

Features I'm looking for:

- Protect finger(s)/hand from braid, rocks, barnacles, fish lipping

- Can get wet and not get heavy or cold

- Not be too thick

- Allow for good rod grip

So far the best option i think is the Aquaskin gloves or the Stormr Torque Neoprene gloves.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. Thx

If you are using braid you will shred them. I tape the casting finger up on the glove with super glue or marine goop and they don't get shredded. that is for gloves that will keep your hands warm. There are plenty of general outdoors gloves that are thin and strong and wont shred but they provide little warmth and will get wet. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like mechanics gloves, you can find an endless selection on the cheap everywhere, use em for a while & toss them when they get effed up....

Good for wetsuiting season, I don't wet suit in the colder months so I have no use for neo gloves..

b4fc5c61-4101-4a4f-a981-9e70960498a4.2410bd99c91f8284c75553be1b73d306.jpeg.378feed73267637c5f3cd2f27e62d7e6.jpeg

Edited by BillZ

I don’t wetsuit fish. I do have a pair of the Stormr neoprene gloves though I wear cold water fishing. I’m not sure which model they are, but they do keep my hands warm even when wet. The finger tips are also coated in I guess it’s a rubber, as well as the palms. Which makes gripping good. 

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I used the Aquaskin gloves yesterday on a 10 hour trip on the surf. Ended up only using the left glove to handling fish and reeling as it still bothers me to cast with a glove on. You lose so much feeling sensitivity that ill wait till I have no choice to wear the right/casting finger glove.

Overall I was pleased. The glove is thin and was wet for most of the day. It didn't bother me at all while wet. 

The grip on the glove, even tho its just a leather palm, seemed sufficient. I was worried since it didnt seem to have a tacky/sticky palm grip like the Stormr's do. 

The glove didn't really dry all that fast. Most likely due to the leather palm

On a side note: (maybe i should create a  separate thread for this)

I was hoping that these gloves would help a little bit with what is either "Fisherman Handling Disease" or some other bacterial reaction I'm getting. I fish an estuary that has an almost stillwater outflow so maybe bacteria from brackish water?

My symptoms are all after the fishing session is over (nothing felt during):

- Swollen hands, hard to make a fist

- Red hands along with swelling

- Itchy Rash - looks almost like wetsuit  rash, but becomes very itchy  about 6-12 hours after fishing session. Get this on my legs and forearms mostly.

I didnt handle the fish i caught yesterday without a glove on, so im assuming its due to something in the water bacteria wise, as my hands were wet most of the day  from swimming/wetsuiting around the surf. 

Any ideas?

20 mins ago, SurfcasterJim said:

On a side note: (maybe i should create a  separate thread for this)

I was hoping that these gloves would help a little bit with what is either "Fisherman Handling Disease" or some other bacterial reaction I'm getting. I fish an estuary that has an almost stillwater outflow so maybe bacteria from brackish water?

My symptoms are all after the fishing session is over (nothing felt during):

- Swollen hands, hard to make a fist

- Red hands along with swelling

- Itchy Rash - looks almost like wetsuit  rash, but becomes very itchy  about 6-12 hours after fishing session. Get this on my legs and forearms mostly.

I didnt handle the fish i caught yesterday without a glove on, so im assuming its due to something in the water bacteria wise, as my hands were wet most of the day  from swimming/wetsuiting around the surf. 

Any ideas?

Maybe talk to your doctor,  sounds to me l like you have some kind of sensitivity to something.... 

I use to get a rash like you described from the cold when I was younger, only just remembered about it reading this post, cant remember the last time it happened, it kind of just went away :why:

Edited by BillZ

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

Maybe talk to your doctor,  sounds to me l like you have some kind of sensitivity to something.... 

I use to get a rash like you described from the cold when I was younger, only just remembered about it reading this post, cant remember the last time it happened, it kind of just went away :why:

Thx ya maybe time for a pro to figure it out. 

12 mins ago, giant basshole said:

You might be allergic to neoprene or lycra 

OMG....totally didnt think of this. Wouldn't i react instantly though to the neoprene?

Just a note: I'm really not the allergies type of person. Hayfever only which i take Claratin D for, so im usually antihistimined up too. Granted I know in aging you can develop new allergies, but never had a problem with neoprene or lycra before. 

Still my right hand was just as swollen as my left, and it didnt have any glove on it. Closest neoprene to my right hand was on the wrist from my wetsuit and Stormr surf top.

Edited by SurfcasterJim

17 mins ago, SurfcasterJim said:

OMG....totally didnt think of this. Wouldn't i react instantly though to the neoprene?

Just a note: I'm really not the allergies type of person. Hayfever only which i take Claratin D for, so im usually antihistimined up too. Granted I know in aging you can develop new allergies, but never had a problem with neoprene or lycra before. 

Still my right hand was just as swollen as my left, and it didnt have any glove on it. Closest neoprene to my right hand was on the wrist from my wetsuit and Stormr surf top.

I have an insulated layer for under my wetsuit. Every time I wear it I itch like a madman , so I have stopped using it. Not sure what I’m reacting to but I’m fine in the suit alone.

9 hours ago, giant basshole said:

I have an insulated layer for under my wetsuit. Every time I wear it I itch like a madman , so I have stopped using it. Not sure what I’m reacting to but I’m fine in the suit alone.

Hmm, thats interesting. I'm wearing WORN insulated sock, under my Stormr and Korker socks. (3 pair total).

However no insulation outside of the Storm Surf Top I wear for my upper body. 

9 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Synthetic Latex is in Polychloroprene (Neoprene)

I would wager you have a Latex allergy.

If so its new, or I've just never noticed. But maybe