zak-striper

Rotator cuff surgery, how long until you started casting again?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

At the moment, it looks like I'm going under the knife for a 70% rotator cuff tear and a bone spur. I've been doing PT for a while now. It got me about 80% better and most of the pain from casting is manageable. However, the tear and bone spur are still bugging the eff out of me during other activites so I'm going to get the surgery done.

I'm going under the knife right after New Year's. I usually don't start fishing hard until April. Saltwater for me starts in mid-May once the blues & stripers start showing up in MA.

For those of you who had rotator cuff surgery. How long did the recovery take before you started fishing hard again? And how long right after surgery were you able to start PT and rehabbing your shoulder?

I had both rotator cuff and labrum tears repaired at the same time. It was 3 months until I even considered fishing (conventional outfit fluke fishing from a boat, no casting). 5-6 months until I felt comfortable casting a surf rod, and a year before it felt pretty much normal/better than pre surgery.

You start PT like a week after surgery (sometimes even right away) but the progression is really slow. First few sessions it was the PT moving my arm for me, it was like 3 weeks before PT even had me  complete some exercises on my own.

13 mins ago, zak-striper said:

If you have nothing to contribute you don't have to reply.

please take your own advice. and i have nothing else to contribute. hope you heal well.

1 hour ago, C.Robin said:

I had both rotator cuff and labrum tears repaired at the same time. It was 3 months until I even considered fishing (conventional outfit fluke fishing from a boat, no casting). 5-6 months until I felt comfortable casting a surf rod, and a year before it felt pretty much normal/better than pre surgery.

Thx!

I had knees 'scoped a couple times. After the 1st one, I had to take a summer off from playing adult baseball. It wasn't until a year later that my knees felt "normal" while playing ball again.

1 hour ago, C.Robin said:

You start PT like a week after surgery (sometimes even right away) but the progression is really slow. First few sessions it was the PT moving my arm for me, it was like 3 weeks before PT even had me  complete some exercises on my own.

I started PT before the covid shutdown. I had to do my exercises at home most of last year. This year my rehab reopened for in person sessions so I've been back for a while. My shoulders are probably in the best shape they've ever been, excluding the injury, so I'm hoping the recovery goes well, and quickly.

37 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

BIL had it, 9 months till he felt like the old days and thta was following the rehab program like a mental patient. Best of luck.

I've been a gym rat since college. And I've had my share of sports injuries over the years so I'm a psycho when it comes to doing my PT. I'll be chomping at the bit to get back so I'll be doing my PT religiously and as soon as they let me.

I had this done a few years back on my left shoulder.  Full thickness rotator cuff tear, torn labrum that required like a dozen anchors and a bone spur.  They also moved my bicep tendon around.  I was back to work full time in three months.  Make sure you find the best surgeon.  Mine was rated one of the best in the entire country. I started PT right away and did double what they told me. My shoulder feels great and actually felt great probably a week after surgery.  I had no issues with pain, range of motion or strength. 

After three months I felt pretty good doing the PT religiously.  Didn't try cast until six months.  Didn't recover full strength for a year.

Cabo 

Every repair is different, as every person. If you tough it out want to fish, pain will tell you, that may be too late. I would wait till Dr. gives you range of motion test and says. OK. Too me take the 3 months and add 1. , Had a hip and worked 2 days later, still great. 5 knee surgeries and still not right or will be, My fault on first surgery, hero/tough guy, I can do it it:banghd::beatin::rav:

22 mins ago, 27conch said:

I had this done a few years back on my left shoulder.  Full thickness rotator cuff tear, torn labrum that required like a dozen anchors and a bone spur.  They also moved my bicep tendon around.  I was back to work full time in three months.  Make sure you find the best surgeon.  Mine was rated one of the best in the entire country. I started PT right away and did double what they told me. My shoulder feels great and actually felt great probably a week after surgery.  I had no issues with pain, range of motion or strength. 

I don't have any labrum issues. They didn't see any in the last MRI, just a partial tear and the bone spur. I think the spur is what's causing most of the remaining pain issues.  My orthopedic surgeon is the team doctor for the Celtics so I have a lot of confidence in him.

Posted (edited) · Report post

ZAK- Good luck with the surgery. Everybody I know who has had that kind of fix says not to rush the return. Sounds like Raw in a previous post gave some sage advice!

Once again good luck,

Marc

Edited by mml4

Just now, mml4 said:

Everybody I know who has had that kind of fix says not to rush the return. 

I'm righted handed and it's my right shoulder.  I'll probably start casting left handed for the rest of this season so I can be half way decent at it once April comes along.  :)