geenowalker

House warming gift for east hampton surfcaster

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Brother in law just bought place in east hampton.  Going to get him a rod/reel for surf fishing stripers out on the island/Montauk.  Have a Penn Battle 3 (6000) and thinking of placing on a Ugly Stik bigwater 11'.  Are more fisherman throwing heavy or medium/heavy rods?  He likes my STCX Mojo Surf 10'6 (MFMH), but I am not dropping that cash on this gift and is a MFMH rod heavy enough?  If he starts surf fishing regularly (95% sure he will), he can always upgrade later and have additional setup for when I come up.

Guys seam to like the tsunami airwave rods, don’t have one myself but they are popular. I would look into one of them. 

I got that same Ugly Stik (2-6oz i believe) and it is surprisingly good for the money. I didn't even immediately start thinking of re-doing the guides and kept it as is.

It throws it's rating well, yet i myself am not comfortable at 6oz as I'm always tossing 1/2-1  :)

20 hours ago, Mark L said:

Guys seam to like the tsunami airwave rods, don’t have one myself but they are popular. I would look into one of them. 

I like this idea.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, geenowalker said:

Brother in law just bought place in east hampton.  Going to get him a rod/reel for surf fishing stripers out on the island/Montauk.  Have a Penn Battle 3 (6000) and thinking of placing on a Ugly Stik bigwater 11'.  Are more fisherman throwing heavy or medium/heavy rods?  He likes my STCX Mojo Surf 10'6 (MFMH), but I am not dropping that cash on this gift and is a MFMH rod heavy enough?  If he starts surf fishing regularly (95% sure he will), he can always upgrade later and have additional setup for when I come up.

I'm thinking a rod is a personal thing to pick out.

What about a barometer or tide clock for the wall?

What ever you get nice gesture :th:

I’d want a nice pressure washer, back pack blower or Grill. Not sure I get a housewarming fishing rod. It’s the thought that counts though. 

My BIL is a great guy but you may have him beat lol.  I agree a rod is personal but I see where you're going...gotta plant the seed.  I'd go with the Ugly Stick, but he DOES like your rod.  As they say it's "impersonal" but maybe a gift card to go toward the Mojo along with a nice Danny would be another route?   

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, geenowalker said:

He likes my STCX Mojo Surf 10'6 (MFMH), but I am not dropping that cash on this gift

You are  cheap.

STCX Mojo Surf 10'6 (MFMH) is what, around $300?

You are not dropping that cash for house warming gift in the place that you will stay any chance you have for no charge, with breakfast and dinner?

Buy a nice house warming gift for both of them and than buy Century with VS for your BIL as a gift.

Edited by Popasilov

OK...first things first.    Thanks for all of hte replies.... This is not his first or primary house.  Its a beach house in the hamptons.  2nd...This is a piece of his gift...not necessarily the whole gift.  Dont want him to get stuck with living room furniture only, and wind up with nothing for him, especially as he indicated he wanted to start fishing.  The main question I had was,,,,,medium heavy or heavy.   

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I'm thinking a rod is a personal thing to pick out.

What about a barometer or tide clock for the wall?

What ever you get nice gesture :th:

The house is in the hamptons....the decorator decides what goes on walls.

3 hours ago, Popasilov said:

You are  cheap.

You are not dropping that cash for house warming gift in the place that you will stay any chance you have for no charge, with breakfast and dinner?

Buy a nice house warming gift for both of them and than buy Century with VS for your BIL as a gift.

Its not about cheap.  Its about letting him pick what he wants down the road.  I love my St Croiz, but a lot of guys dont.  Especially with the small eyes.  

3 hours ago, Popasilov said:

You are  cheap.

Interesting perspective. You’ve got some valid points. 

Hamptons and ugly stick.... having a hard time visualizing it. Yeah. 

I work in the area and would get him a gift certificate to see Ken at Tightlines tackle in sag harbor. Then he can pick out what he wants while gaining area knowledge…Ken is good people…